Idea For Downloading Videos,`

cookie456_the2nd

I dont know if anyone else uses programs like azureus and other similar ones, but i randomly thought of this idea for sharing trials videos. Not sure if it would work, but worth the suggestion.

Definition of BitTorrent

A file distribution protocol used to distribute large files to multiple points without extraordinary bandwidth demands on the source. The main difference between BitTorrent and Kaaza is: BitTorrent is not an anonymous fileshare program. There is always a single point of distribution, thus a single person that can be tracked down to have started it

The principal is that:

1. Someone creates a BitTorrent file and this file contains a load of information, includung where the file is being stored

2. The person who wants the file, downloads the BitTorrent file, opens it in an appropriate client such as Azerues. This downloads the file.

3. While downloading the file, the client also distributes the file, so that an other person downloading the file from the BitTorrent, is downloading the file from two sources, instead of just the original

4. Then when the file is downloaded, there are now two sources for someone to download.

Steps 2-4 repeat numerous amounts of times and thus this takes the load of certain servers.

Anyone that uses BitTorrent stuff will know what i mean, maybe they can kinda explain it some more?

This is only a suggestion but it would help take the load off servers such as trials-shack and keep high download speeds.

Any input to this?

I think that using bittorrent to distribute trials vids is a pro idea :S

I'm well for it.

Many quality torent sites have a ratio rule; i think this should be incorporated if trials torrents kicks of.

The ratio rule is basically, whatever the amount you download, you must upload. For example, you download a 100mb vid - You then seed or upload that 100mb video untill you have reached a 1:1 ratio. It may sound harsh, but imo it is fair.

It'll also help out Mr.Trial Shack :turned:

Hosting a torent file is kb, so compared to the HUGE amount we download from him its a big difference.

Deffinatley an idea that needs to be discussed.

I never really checked it out, as if i automagically make a torrent file for a video, how is someone going to start seeding it.

So it requires the user 100% to do it.

I would happily set-up a tracker, hell, theres one already up from when i was testing the idea a while back.

This is if trials-shack lasts that long.

However, ignore me bringing trials-shack into the picture, i would be happy to help the seeding if you decide to start it up all yourselves. Maybes use an open tracker like mininova.

Its been suggested before...

Si was thinking about using it on trials-shack but I dont think it will be the easiest thing for him to code.

The main problem would be all the leaching scum that you would blatantly get downloading the video's then not sharing. The only way this could be sorted is by making trials-shack a torrent hoast where you have to keep a 1:1 download/upload ratio otherwise you get banned. This method would however cause Si even more problems coding :turned:

I never really checked it out, as if i automagically make a torrent file for a video, how is someone going to start seeding it.

So it requires the user 100% to do it.

Unless you automagically seed it as well :op

I've been meaning to code a 'proof of concept' thing to see if I can make this work for a while now (well, since we last talked about it)... I ought to be keeping up with my PHP anyway, so I might see if I can write some tools to make it all work soon.

Only problem is that I can't fit my nice monitor on my desk here, so I'm using one of my parents spare TFT's that only does 1024x768 - I'm not sure I can code in this resolution :o/

edit In answer to the original post... another issue with using bittorrent, without having a fairly good server that stores+seeds them ad-infinitum, is that videos are only available for a short time. As soon as interest for a video wanes, it'll no longer be available for late comers. Wether or not this is a major issue is debatable, but it's certainly far from ideal.

edit In answer to the original post... another issue with using bittorrent, without having a fairly good server that stores+seeds them ad-infinitum, is that videos are only available for a short time. As soon as interest for a video wanes, it'll no longer be available for late comers. Wether or not this is a major issue is debatable, but it's certainly far from ideal.

I think using bittorrent will only work if you make it optional.

Someone would have to upload the video's to a server as well as having a seperate torrent.

I think using bittorent for video's would work best when video's are first are released as when there is a sudden rush of people downloading the full file off the server the bandwidth can get raped within a short period [TM1 is a great example where bittorrent could have been used!]

I thought about this a while ago and wondered if it was just me. Yeah i think its a great idea because at times like now when Trials-shack is down, people can still get their videos regardless of what the server is doing.

Im :turned: