Motorbike Age Laws

-RoBBo-

I'm looking to buy a motorbike, possibly a crosser, when i'm 17. But does the CC limit inscrease to 125cc when you turn 17, rather than the 50cc limit at 16.

I've searched google etc... and cant find an answer :rolleyes: i have heard about stuff like restrictions to 125cc making them 33BHP or something like that. But i'm still confused.

Just wonder if anybody on here knows what the age laws are or rides one theirselves and what the CC of their bike is.

Thanks alot, matt.

I'm looking to buy a motorbike, possibly a crosser, when i'm 17. But does the CC limit inscrease to 125cc when you turn 17, rather than the 50cc limit at 16.

I've searched google etc... and cant find an answer  :rolleyes:  i have heard about stuff like restrictions to 125cc making them 33BHP or something like that. But i'm still confused.

Just wonder if anybody on here knows what the age laws are or rides one theirselves and what the CC of their bike is.

Thanks alot, matt.

hello,

on a cbt at the age of 17 you can ride a 125 as long as its resricted to a certain bhp check the dvla website or dsa , the 33bhp rule only applies if you take your full test and are under the age of 21 so you cant do your direct access to enable you to ride a bike of any cc,

hope this helps

Leanne

So, how old will i have to be to insure a CBR 600 RR??? Im thinking about 21 right? if so.... poo!! i have aaages to wait!!!

no you can be 17 as long as you have passed your full test and its restricted to 33 bhp :rolleyes:" like anyone sticks to it, but insurance might be high, and it not being resricted will void your insurance, try a sports 400 instead get a baby blade or a zxr400 which i have they are good bikes,

Leanne

Yeah like people have already said:

16= 50cc

17= anything restricted to 33BHP

Although I say anything, you wouldn't want anything over a 600cc really as it starts to get pointless!

I've got a CBR 600 and it's restricted to 33bhp!

I went from doing my CBT, riding a 50 and the did my full restricted test soon as I hit 17!

I had two lessons at £35 each, the final test £50 and the theroy test and about £20 i think.

So you may as well do it as it's alot cheaper than a car test and lets face it, a hell of a lot more fun! Even a 600 restricted to 33bhp will go like sh*t and beat pretty much most cars on acceleration and i've had 110mph outta mine!

Also in 2 years time when I hit 19 I can ride any bike unrestricted as long as I can afford insurance!

Doing this test is so good and has many advantages!

Go do it now mate, go for it!

Rob :rolleyes: :D

how the hell do you ristrict a GSXR 600 down to 33BHP ?!?!?!  :D  :D  lol

Two big washer type things in the carbs, easy to do and easy to take out!

My mate bought an R6 and of course it wasn't restricted, so then about a month later decided to get it restricted just to get the restricion certificate! Then the morning after he took them out in his garage, took about 4 hours I think.

If any copper stops you and says it is restricted? then just say yeah i've got the certificate to prove it, there never going to take it all apart and check.

I was going to get a zxr 400 but to be fair you may as well get a 600!

Think about it, most 600's are a lot better lookin and more modern and when the two years are up, if you want to change your bike then you wont have to as a 600 unrestricted is going to a completly different bike anyway!

Like my local dealer said, if you want to go to europe on a 600 then you can but on a 400 its a bit more :rolleyes: (cant think of the word)

Get a 600! :S

UMMM what do you mean?

I did my CBT at 16 then at 17 the restricted test!

If you havent done a CBT then you could do it when your 17 as well!

If your 16 now you could do it now, it just dosent matter really!

Just the sooner you do your full test the sooner you can have a proper unrestricted bike! :rolleyes:

Rob

Hope i've answered your question

Right its:

At 16 50cc on a cbt

At 17 its anything under 13bhp( basically allot of 125's) on a cbt

and

after you pass your test you can ride anything 33bhp and under which is most 400's, once your 19 you can ride anything, or if you take your test at 21 years you can ride anything.

Thats basically it, that info is spot on.

I've took my cbt test so in 4 month when i'm 17 i'm getting my first 125 road bike :rolleyes: .

Richie.

Edited by Richie

Don't think so, the cbt test talks you through everything, to be honest its all pretty straight foward,although i used to ride motorcycle trials so i have more experience.

But anyway the cbt test takes you through everything you need to know, remember don't be afraid to ask :rolleyes:

Richie

Edited by Richie

Right its:

At 16 50cc on a cbt

At 17 its anything under 13bhp( basically allot of 125's) on a cbt

and

after you pass your test you can ride anything 33bhp and under which is most 400's, once your 19 you can ride anything, or if you take your test at 21 years you can ride anything.

Thats basically it, that info is spot on.

I've took my cbt test so in 4 month when i'm 17 i'm getting my first 125 road bike :D .

Richie.

Isnt that basically what i said!?? :rolleyes:

Anyway, even if you get a 400cc it's still going to need to be restricted!

If you get pulled by cops can they tell if the restrictor has been taken out, if they cant then why not take it out and put it back in for M.O.T?

I want a bike now, given up wioth a car I just want to burn it off the line at the traffic lights waving my middle finger as I fly off. No seriously I think its easier to drive than a car, Im having trouble but then Ive only been out twice in a car.

If you get pulled by cops can they tell if the restrictor has been taken out, if they cant then why not take it out and put it back in for M.O.T?

No they cant tell if the restrictors have been taken out just by sound or by looking at it!

The only way they can tell is if they take it apart which isn't going to happen as it takes time, money and effort.

When I got stopped for speeding the other day, the copper said he was a bike rider himself but still he couldn't work out what a gear indicator was and he said "are you sure you can ride this 600 at 17" :rolleyes: haha course I can u fool!

My mate with the R6 got stopped for his numberplate the other day and the copper just said is this bike restricted and he just said yeah i've got the certificate at home, even though he'd taken them out himself!

Yes I suppose you could put them back in for the M.O.T.

Only if you do it yourself really as it's expensive to get done, if you've ever seen restrictors then there just little white plastic spacers really which limit air flow!

I had to pay £150 for mine which is a total rip off for what they are!

Cheers Rob :D

Is 700 pounds sterling ( I have no pound sign <_< ) good insurance for a restricted 400cc?

I wanna get that a bit cheaper if I can  :)

pinky

Not really, as I pay £650 for a 600 but that is third party only!

Ring carol nash, there the cheapest!

i paid £400 ish i think for my first year for my zxr4 with one years ncb, that was tpft, i think that was with choice quote. might be worth giving them a try also look in MCN there are shed loads of insurance companies that advertise in their bike mart,

also reguarding the restrictor issue it isnt checked by the mot so you wouldnt need to put them in again, the only thing you have to worry about if you take them out is coppers seizing your bike and taking it away to be check highly unlikely or similarly if you had an accident and they took your bike away to be checked then you might have problems if they found out as your insurance would be invalid but you could claim you didnt know or something like the previous onwer said they were in the, dont know if it would work,

Leanne