Serious Hope Hub Problems!

Rob Thomson

Righty-ho, i'll set the story...

I bought a hope XC on a ronnie from tartybikes at crimbo time to replace my old hope mono...It arrived in march. (both rear by the way)

When i got I first got it, it skipped every now and again, nothing too serious and i just put it down to the typical hope grease in the hub etc and the wearing in period....

The skipping continued and it gradually got worse and worse, this was in April or the beginning of May (most probably April) where it got to the extend of skipping 3-4-5 times in a single pedal kick for forward hopping...Resulting in lauching me over the front with my feet going from the start of a pedal stroke position down to perpendicular with the floor...

I stopped riding, took it apart and had a look, everything seems to be there all the teeth etc seem in working order but it has this demonic skipping that sound slike a fooking machine gun!

So now if you cycle it normally its fine for a couple rotations then skips but around every to pedal kicks it'll do this really scary skip with not even alot of pressure so riding is impossible...

Has anybody else had this problem before? Is there anything to remedy it except for sending it away to hope (me living in the middle east results in a very long wait)...

Any ideas lads??(and ladies)

Cheers, sorry for the life story

It may sound a bit stupid, but are you sure it is the hub skipping and not your chain/cog? It has happened to me few times before :"> Try riding around with your front brake on to put some pressure on your chain/cog, if it skips riding like that it could be your cog/chain. Other than that I can't help, i've never even seen a hope hub in person.

Edited by loffa

I had so many problems with my Hope that it made my go front freewheel and my ENO rules.

What has happened to me in the past is that:

1. The rachet gets the engagements snapping off it then sometimes getting stuck and locking up the wheel.

2. The rachet has come un-bonded with the hub body and started rotating in the hub, making you think your wheel spinning.

3. The prawls inside get all jammed and mixed up and don't work at all and all they do is lock up the wheel.

My solution: Ditch the the Hope and get a front freewheel kit for £200 or whatever it is. Great deal, includes tensiles, echo fixed hub, eno freewheel etc.

I had so many problems with my Hope that it made my go front freewheel and my ENO rules.

What has happened to me in the past is that:

1. The rachet gets the engagements snapping off it then sometimes getting stuck and locking up the wheel.

2. The rachet has come un-bonded with the hub body and started rotating in the hub, making you think your wheel spinning.

3. The prawls inside get all jammed and mixed up and don't work at all and all they do is lock up the wheel.

My solution: Ditch the the Hope and get a front freewheel kit for £200 or whatever it is. Great deal, includes tensiles, echo fixed hub, eno freewheel etc.

I really do not have 200 quid at all...Anything cheaoper?? I have two hope fully bult wheels i can get fied then sell them and a few other bits and peices...

I've had a good look at my drivechain, and i can't see that being the problem..ARGH

Just get rid of the Hope!!

Why dont you send it back! Sell it! then buy a new hub

OR

You could keep the hub, lock it up, then buy a freewheel and bashring and maybe some front freewheel cranks if you dont already have some.

In my opinion the only good thing about Hope are there customer service!

Steve

Nice to hear from our members in more exotic climes , although as you say Mr.Tweek , it'll be a disadvantage when it comes to servicing by U.K based companies .

I'm kinda concerned here , because I've just bought a ( used ) Hope X.C rear , and am curious if this reliability problem is common . I'll be watching this thread closely . I'm sure one of our more technically minded members will offer useful advice / insight . Good luck with it .

tis weird with hope. my mate stripped his ratchet ring in 3 months. mine lasted 20 months. replacement is still goin strong. so my hope xc is nearly 2.5-3 years old now. and i'm gonna buy a new one soon. have no quarms about usin their kit, though i know people who have no faith in it whatsoever :)

as for the skipping, only thing i can think of is bent/weakened springs. though mine r shot, the pawls engage individually (all three at different times!) yet it has only skipped on 1 occasion (that i can remember) since xmas, and that wasn't in a trials situation. i love my hope. in fact, i might just keep it, even though its dead!

smithy

sounds silly, but the only things i can think of are:

worn rachet ring &/or pawls.

snapped spring.

bent spring.

swarf inside the hub, thus clogging it up.

chain alignment, making it jump on and off chainring &/or rear cog.

worn drivetrain.

bent chainring.

:)

if i were you i would investigate all these possibilities by the process of eleimination. and if all else fails go buy a front freewheel &/or send it back. :(

I've thought about this before, but dismissed it for a reason i can't remember :">

Now i think about it my single speed sprocket does look rather worn down and the teeth looking a bit shallow, this teamed with my tensioner being "slightly" pooped up means this could be the reason for my problems! I shall get a pick of the sprocket soon...

The tensioner boltt hat stops the wheel from going side to side has no thread so i guess this could also be a contributing factor...I feel i should go back to using a cassette 'cause this sprocket sorta cuts the cassette body, so recommendations where a decent 12-21 (ish) ratio cassette could be purchased from...CRC??

And i think just stick with singlespeed though...Recommendations for a decent tensioner for a decent price..Fresh Products?

Sorry about all the problems...I feel like i am starting trials again... :blink:

I'm kinda concerned here , because I've just bought a ( used ) Hope X.C rear , and am curious if this reliability problem is common . I'll be watching this thread closely  . I'm sure one of our more technically minded members will offer useful advice / insight .          Good luck with it .

Just to attempt to put your mind at ease, i've been riding a hope mono for about a year now after killing every other hub i've owned, unfortunately all shitmano, and the hubs still going strong, maybe not as many engagements as I'd like after riding my brothers profile about ;)" but still good hubs, the customer service is excellent and if I had any problems I could just send it back and they'd sort it out, normally free of charge, all in all GO HOPE (Y)

James :-

i had problems with my hope, i know this sounds stupid but do you have your quick release quite loose. The axles seem to flew quite abit, the shim which sits in the freehub body fits quite loosly, causing the axles to flex. This i found was the problem with mine. So i machined a slightly bigger shim, and it seemed to help, but it still slipped every once in a while. Thats why the new hope trials hub, has a few more bearings, making it a much stiffer hub, i could be wrong, but i think that is why you might have a few problems, chris

i had problems with my hope, i know this sounds stupid but do you have your quick release quite loose. The axles seem to flew quite abit, the shim which sits in the freehub body fits quite loosly, causing the axles to flex. This i found was the problem with mine. So i machined a slightly bigger shim, and it seemed to help, but it still slipped every once in a while. Thats why the new hope trials hub, has a few more bearings, making it a much stiffer hub, i could be wrong, but i think that is why you might have a few problems, chris

don't think the new hope trials hub has a few more bearings, they still have the same amount, they have increased the axle diameter for increased stiffnesss thats all, and it is no where near ready yet

we are still having minor problems with skipping

regards ash