Ebay Help

Pork Pie

Hey all,

I put a bid in for an item I'm after, and lost, by a minute amount damnit :- Well anyway, it seems I've just got an email. It goes:

***Do not reply to this email . Contact the seller at this e-mail address :notgonnatellyou@aol.com***You expressed interest in an item titled blah blah (revised) Item number: blah" by bidding, however the auction has ended with another member as the high bidder. In compliance with eBay policy, the seller of that item is making this Second Chance Offer to you at your bid price of GBP blah. The seller has issued this Second Chance Offer because either the winning bidder was unable to complete the transaction. If you accept this offer, you will be able to exchange Feedback with the seller and will be eligible for eBay services associated with a transaction, such as fraud protection. To purchase this item, don't reply to this mail, just contact the seller at notgonnatellyou@aol.com Thank you, eBay, Inc ***Do not reply to this email . Contact the seller at this e-mail address : notgonnatellyou@aol.com***

If this is genuine, it seems like a bit of an awesome deal, but I've heard stuff like this is often a scam?

Thanking you,

Dave

He's had to contact you via the ebay email sender, and then the text he's put inbetween the ebay disclaimers does read like he's pretending to be ebay, whilst telling you not to reply so ebay don't see what he sent! Hmmm.

He's trying to attach an official air to his message so he can take you outside ebay for a "deal" where you will no longer enjoy protection and the ability for the transaction to be visible on the system and have the associated feedback.

If it sounds too good to be true.....

I pasted some of the text into google and lo and behold it's an established scam:

http://answercenter.ebay.com.my/thread.jsp...hread=700000093

The thing is, it doesn't sound "to good to be true". It's not unrealistic by any means.

I have just realised though, the email I got up there seems to be from a different Ebay account than the bloke who was selling in the first place :-

Gotta be a scam?

Edit: Good plan, ta.

Edited by Dave Gill

Sorry but in my opinion that has scam written all over it. as heatsink said hes trying to take it out of eBay which is gonna end dodgy

Just tell him that if he wants to sell it to you, tell him to put it back on eBay with a buy it now of the price you bidded at. If he doesn't...SCAM!! (Y)

EDIT: Ahh nice one heatsink :-

Edited by PaRtZ

I pasted some of the text into google and lo and behold it's an established scam:

http://answercenter.ebay.com.my/thread.jsp...hread=700000093

The whole point is that the 'scam' email uses the same text as a 'real' 2nd chance offer though. So copying/pasting that text won't really prove conclusive.

If Dave's email was received from eBay, then its fine. If it was received from a non-eBay email address, it's likely to be a scam.

Just tell him that if he wants to sell it to you, tell him to put it back on eBay with a buy it now of the price you bidded at.

Good suggestion :-

Before making accusations to the seller check his feedback?

if its good its possible its like a virus somewhat similar to them you get sent over msn without the sender actually knowing.

Could be a possibility :'(

I'm now more confused than ever. I sent him an email saying:

Hi,

Unfortunately, I have heard about scams that are similar to what you

are doing, but I don't mean to offend you. If you could either reply

with valid proof of sale, please do, as I'm very interested. I'm just

a bit worried that you have a different account name in the email you

sent than the seller who was selling the camera in the first place.

I'd be more than happy to take the camera off your hands, if you can

put it back on Ebay with a buy it now price of blah and notify me about

it before you do. Otherwise, you could email your phone number so I

know you're genuine.

Thanks for your time.

and he's said:

"you dont have to worry because we will do this legal throught eBay.

if you are still interested please let me know

thanks "

I get the feeling this is actually genuine, but none of us here really know for sure :'(