Advice On Spec Of New Trials Bike

ghosts_cloak

Hi guys! Im on the waiting list for a Leeson Fluid 24 inch trials/street frame, and have busied myself this afternoon since my money from the sale of my old bike came through.

I have compiled a list of all the parts I need (forgot anything? :"> ) .

If some of you would be kind enough to have a nose through and see if anything looks out of place (like too weak/heavy/wont fit/etc) that would be awesome.

Im also struggling to find a decent chain and where to get it from?

And also brake pads for Maguras for an unground rim (or is grinding a neccesity for good "grab"?) - I should have mentioned - the rims I chose are Sun Usa Rhyno Lite XL 32h Black 24inch - up to the job?

The riding the bike is aimed at will be mainly street trials with some manuals and spins etc thrown in for good measure :-

Here is the spec list so far :HERE

Help would be most appreciated, as this is a SIGNIFICANT investment for me! Please point out any areas I have skimped on that I really shouldnt have!

Cheers!

~Gareth

rity then-i may have of confused with bits, so ill try my best

pashleys, lowered mount sfor 24, presumably leeson is doing it for you?

headset-just get a pig they are cheaper and last ages :D

you sure you need gears? personally id go singlespeed.... :S

get 2004 maguras not 05s, the 04s are far more reliable :P

are moto diggers good enuff for rear? maybe a 24inch minion would be better?

nokian dh tube upfront as well? no need.... :-

have you accounted for: headset spacers, grips, spokes, wheel build costs, seat, crank bolts? booster?

chains-get a kmc kool from tartybikes/supercycles :(

everything else is fine as far as i can see, o and personally id run a grind, im not keen on smooth rims

hope ive been of some assistance!

I would get some pimpy 3 peice cranks instead of the middleburns, and a BETD (i think) bash for them. Will be alot stronger and are more "streety"

o yeah lol, id also recomend some dmr mk2s (not mk3s as they are crap apparently) but wont you have difficulty gettin leeson to fit the crank properly? wont a longer axle be required? theres nowt wrong with middleburns, most people use them happily enough

bash wise, the betd is a good choice, i run an old ddg bash for 3 pieces and its great, ask edd potts (dave85) and he can probably machine you a nice 1 up :-

if you have to run isis, check out the dmr crisis cranks, they look to be good, but will require a 4 bolt ring and bash

basicaly any of the above will last, just steel cranks are better for the streety riders i find, i wouldnt wanna go back to alloy cranks again on my curtis

Thanks for the replies guys!

For convenience and compatibility I think I will stick with the Middlesburn crankset.

Ill just get a cheapo front 24" inner tube then, and perhaps a IRC KUJO 24*2.35 tire on the rear with the nokian DH tube, and a DMR tire on the front.

Ill be getting the wheels from chain reaction so costs include the wheelbuild etc, the "Sun Usa Rhyno Lite XL 32h Black 24inch" rims will be decent though?

Im having trouble locating the 2004 maguras, the 2005 ones should be okay though with some decent pads? The standard boosters should be okay or not?

Regarding going singlespeed - that is very tempting but Im not sure what ratio I need yet, and I want to get around and take it on small rides with my g/f as well (she is learning to ride a bike - literally!)

Oh also, I have seen a Rohloff trials chain 8 speed somewhere - its about £35 or so, worth it over a Kool chain?

Thanks,

~Gareth

Thanks for the replies guys!

For convenience and compatibility I think I will stick with the Middlesburn crankset.

Ill just get a cheapo front 24" inner tube then, and perhaps a IRC KUJO 24*2.35 tire on the rear with the nokian DH tube, and a DMR tire on the front.

Ill be getting the wheels from chain reaction so costs include the wheelbuild etc, the "Sun Usa Rhyno Lite XL 32h Black 24inch" rims will be decent though?

Im having trouble locating the 2004 maguras, the 2005 ones should be okay though with some decent pads? The standard boosters should be okay or not?

Regarding going singlespeed - that is very tempting but Im not sure what ratio I need yet, and I want to get around and take it on small rides with my g/f as well (she is learning to ride a bike - literally!)

Oh also, I have seen a Rohloff trials chain 8 speed somewhere - its about £35 or so, worth it over a Kool chain?

Thanks,

~Gareth

Just stick with the KMC kool my friend, the Rohloff isnt worth that price imo. Everyhting else looks fine even though i might be tempted to put gears on it single speed drives me crazy

Just stick with the KMC kool my friend, the Rohloff isnt worth that price imo. Everyhting else looks fine even though i might be tempted to put gears on it single speed drives me crazy

Thanks for that, yes I think gears, for now at least - are what I will go for.

Any opinions regarding the 2005 maguras or should I really dig out some 2004 models from the depths of some bike shop? What about the standard boosters?

~Gareth

EDIT: Spelling

Edited by ghosts_cloak

i currently run the 05magura i switched over from the Old style and too be honest theres not alot of difference magura were boasting about 60percent more power or something but thats rubbish. I standard booster you get with the 05 magura is not all that good buy a RB or something (XTR if you can find one) too me theres not really any difference apart from the tpa in the 05 is less likely to be broken due to crashes etc. The never style lever is nothing to shout about either.

Have alook around i would personally buy whichever ones you can find cheaper.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=6003

Theres the 05´s priced at 99.99 (seems reasonable (N) )

Singlespeed! Inspires more confindence (as ur not gunna worry so much about landing on a mech and bending your mech hanger), lighter (saves having the cable, mech, heavy rear cassette and shifter), much cheaper and more reliable.

Besides, I found when I had gears, me and my mates all ended up using one gear practically all the time anyway, with some of my mates even locking out their rear mechs, which IMO is pointless.

Singlespeed all the way!

Singlespeed! Inspires more confindence (as ur not gunna worry so much about landing on a mech and bending your mech hanger), lighter (saves having the cable, mech, heavy rear cassette and shifter), much cheaper and more reliable.

Besides, I found when I had gears, me and my mates all ended up using one gear practically all the time anyway, with some of my mates even locking out their rear mechs, which IMO is pointless.

Singlespeed all the way!

Hiya!

Thanks for your opinion, as I mentioned previously that does sound very tempting, but what if I want to get some extra speed for a streety move or want to go ride trials somewhere closer than 5 minutes away? Being a trials "newbie" how do I know which gear would suit me?

Does singlespeed avoid chainslap and make a bike practically silent?

There are +ives and -ives for both options and I think perhaps gears win - although I will draw up a chart later and see which has the most positive points!

~Gareth

• 2 years later...