Fork Help!

tipsy Jock

Yo dudes,

Just been looking at a new set of forks for my other bike, Its a dirt jumpy type build on an Azonic DS1 frame. At the moment it has some crappy forks on it but they need to go.

I've seen a few that i like but three have stood out.

Manitou black comp 2005

Marzhocci drop off 2005

and lastly

Rock shox Psylo sl 2004

The bikes going to be used for general riding around, want to do some xc on it and get back into jumping maybe so i want a burly fork that will do most things yet is cheap.

Any help would be great, and any smart asses that point out this is a trials forum, i had noticed.

Pete

I don't really want dj's i don't think. I like the Psylos for the u turn do daa, the blacks because they just look plain good. and the drop offs cause they're pretty cheap yet look quite good.

Think i'll ditch the drop offs and look at the other two a little more. The psylos are looking like a favourite i think, although i've heard a few reviews saying they're flexy at full travel and tend to leak :wink2: Anyone know anything about that?

Pete

I don't really want dj's i don't think. I like the Psylos for the u turn do daa, the blacks because they just look plain good. and the drop offs cause they're pretty cheap yet look quite good.

Think i'll ditch the drop offs and look at the other two a little more. The psylos are looking like a favourite i think, although i've heard a few reviews saying they're flexy at full travel and tend to leak :wink2: Anyone know anything about that?

Pete

Well thats not supprising about the psylos as they are based for Xc not dirt i think if your after decent good quality dirt forks then its the blacks.

Well thats not supprising about the psylos as they are based for Xc not dirt i think if your after decent good quality dirt forks then its the blacks.

hmmm, They will be on a dirt bike, but i think i'll mostly be riding kinda xcish stuff on it, i just want it to be able to jump and drop as well if i feel like it. defo leaning towards the psylos now i think, the adjustabe travel is huuuge pro.

Pete

A friend of mine has some blacks although he uses it for XC. He's does very light streety on it too and they handle fine with it. I think the blacks would be groovy for DJ

Might be wrong as I've never had a pair myself....

out of experience....

i have seen nothing but trouble with the physlo forks for DJ use. If they are not maintained regularly, they become loose, just like a loose headset feels! and not smooth. Personally i would stay clear....

however marzocchi and manitou i think are completely different, being more of a fit and forget manufacture.

Obviously every fork will require maintenence (sp!) but i fitted some mx comps for my xc machine nearly 2yrs back, i give it loads of abuse, but they are as smooth as i brought them! very impressed, as i am i with manitou's stuff, i've run blacks, and sherman forks in the past / present, all of which have that solid nice feel!

thats my opinion if it was needed anyway.... :wink2:

i used to have dirt jumping bike come street bike. i had mx comps on it for a while they were ok. i than changed to dj3's and these forks were very good even though they were on the heavy side even on the xc rides i used to do with my dad they were great i never had a problem with them, so honestly i really think you should have a better look at them