Silent Brakes

joe b

Hello all. Getting ready to swap my bike i put my koxx bloxx back in the rear maggie and the brake is'nt too good. But this i'm not too fussed about. The main thing is that it is silent! It is silent and i love it :bunny: . Now i've been riding with this silent brake i don't want another loud brake. Well, what im trying to say is. Which pad/rim set up have you noticed that make a silent brake but lots of grab?

Cheers,

Joe.

Edited by joe b

My brake is exactly the same as yours at the moment, i run brown koxx bloxx on a ground rim and it is slient but i wouldnt trust it on large drop gaps to rails or anything of the like. It does have lock but no bite, bite is what gives me confidence as i know the brake is going to lock. I switched to koxx bloxx from zoo pads and they are totally different;

Zoo pads (on grind)= good bite, ok lock

Koxx bloxx (on grind)= poor bite, good lock

I got this idea from Fatmike. If you put a few layers of electrical tape on the back of the pads it stops the vibrations which stops the squeaking.

I dunno if it works but it's worth a try. :shifty:

I tried doing that and it worked for about 10 minutes then went squiky again, i later realised it was because i had cleaned the rim that made it silent not the tape.

I only put 2 layers on maybe you need more but if you have more layers its hard to put the pad in properly. So basically it doesnt work well not for me anyway :D

hey if my brake works i couldnt give a shit about the noise.

i would say stop worrying about a noise, better to have a good brake.

remember a noisy brake is often a good one because it is getting rid of waste energy through sound.

the only brake i have found to be silent are crap pads (standard magura pads ) and a smooth rim. every other pad with a good grind and good set up seem make a noise.

Mines not silent, its a woosh noise, which I like, I know its working. I run Koxx browns on a grind too and it sometimes squeeks but most the time just a woosh. Also you can make your brake silent by controling your braking. If you do it mid air it will squeek, if you do it on landing it wont, if you follow me.

Mine's almost completely silent. No squeak. No whoosh. And still the brake is awsome. It's weird. Loads of modulation and power, but next to no "bite". By that I mean it'll still lock when you squeeze it, but it's really predictable and not grabby at all.

Smooth rim (Rhyno lite since you asked)

Heatsink Konigs (Not great on a grind, but awsome on a smooth rim)

I'm not sure how well it'll work in the rain though, but that's not really a problem for a mincer like me.

I found the early heatsinks (yellow jobbies) on a grind were slightly swooshy but only if scuffing your brake... Pretty good.

At the moment i'm running the same batch of heatsinks on a smooth rim and it's a slight squeek but not too bad. At the end of the day I guess it's more luck than judgement whether your brake will squeek or not and PLEASE do NOT simply buy pads and rims that people suggest add up to a silent brake. Make sure you buy what works, the rear brake is fairly important :shifty:

I love loud brakes, makes you have confidence that it works... a siglent brake is a crap set up brake!

I only ride if my brake is working properly neways! lol

i'm sorry mate but thats premium bull!!!

my brake is silent and works like a beast it perfectly set up so its down to how it locks not how it sounds!!!

Just a thought...

For those of you who have silent brakes, how heavy are you and are you running brake boosters?

I wonder if part of the noise may be due to vibration caused as the pad's are forced out of alignment when the brake mechanism flexes and rotates around the mounting points... for example, front mounted brakes on a fork will try and rotate themeselves forwards and out when under normal forwards braking loads. A brake booster helps reduce this twisting of brakes around the mount points motion, which will help keep the pads aligned correctly and reduce vibrations.