Removing Freewheels

Dan Clark

Hello people.

I ride stock, so I know nothing about freewheels, but basically I bought an old T-Mag for my girlfriend for £80 which had been lying in a shed for 4 months, but it had a broken freewheel.

My attempts failed at removing it, then my dad had a go with a scaffold pole on the end to no avail either. It is standard thread right?

Anyway, how the feck do I get it off? I'm sure everyones had plenty of experience here.

It's a crappy Shimano freewheel if anyones interested.

It's a perfectly standard freewheel thread, clockwise to tighten, anticlockwise to loosen (with difficulty because pedalling along tightens it). With Claws freewheels the procedure is to unscrew the lockring if you haven't already (anticlockwise thread there), remove and throw away pawls, balls, springs and any other crap that might fall out. you are left with a - sort of - square shaped lump that can be clamped in a vice (tight enough to hold it in place, not so tight it crushes the crank) - then, with tenderness and finesse....

....smack the crank hard with a rubber hammer several times at the pedal end.

In the right direction. Pedalling backwards, if you imagine it's still on the bike.

Hopefully it'll be something similar with Shimano freewheels.

Edited by Monkey

It's a perfectly standard freewheel thread, clockwise to tighten, anticlockwise to loosen (with difficulty because pedalling along tightens it). With Claws freewheels the procedure is to unscrew the lockring if you haven't already (anticlockwise thread there), remove and throw away pawls, balls, springs and any other crap that might fall out. you are left with a - sort of - square shaped lump that can be clamped in a vice (tight enough to hold it in place, not so tight it crushes the crank) - then, with tenderness and finesse....

....smack the crank hard with a rubber hammer several times at the pedal end.

In the right direction. Pedalling backwards, if you imagine it's still on the bike.

Hopefully it'll be something similar with Shimano freewheels.

It's loads easier just using a freewheel remover bolted to the crank arm/freewheel though. That way, you've still got a spare freewheel, and lockrings can be total bitches to remove sometimes. With my freewheel before, we had to actual dent, bend and fully rape the lockring to get it off.

Anyway, a simple way of remembering how to take the freewheel off is to make sure you're turning it the the freewheel clicks (that's if you're doing it the bolted on remover way).

i find it easier to put the tool in a vice and just turn the wheel left, which means that there is no need for any bars or spanners to slip and you don't nack your threds  (Y)

I believe this mod's on the crank arm though, so unfortunately that's not super applicable.

I hate taking htem off back wheel using the 'twist the wheel' method just 'cos of the horrific "CCRRREAAAAAKKKKKYYYYYOOOOOUUUUU'RREEEEEEBRREEEEAAAAAKIIIIINNNGGGGGGGMMEEEEEEEE" sound from your spokes/hub/rim...