Cassette

wayneone

Right getting a new wheel build so i may as well get a new cassette. I know that road ones are the best but what ones? also how hard will it be to get the bike to "adcept it" so to speak, What i mean is when i change gear i don't want it to be trying to change to a chain ring from my old cassette that isnt on the new one. Hope thats clear.

As long as your new cassette has the same number of gears as the old one, very little set up will be required, probably just a tweak in cable tension.

You will probably want to take a few links out of the chain though, as it will no longer need to be so long.

the shimano road range goes Sora<Tiagra<105<Dura Ace i think in terms of quality, comparable with Deore<LX<XT<XTR. (someone correct me if im wrong) so just go for the best you can afford. i cant remeber if mine is a tiagra or 105 on my comuting bike, but it is rebuildable- very useful for cleaning.

I was always under the impression that the chain should be changed when you change the cassette since they wear together, especially if you have been using the set-up for a long time therefore giving it high wear. A new cassette with an old chain means that the chain (possibly now stretched) does not match up properly with the new cogs and causes the gears to slip especially under high tension which is not the best thing to have on a trials bike.

anyway, i've always used a sora 12-23 tooth 8spd with a sram PC48 chain and that works just fine and provides a nice range of close gear ratios.