Ignorance To Short And Long Bikes

pogonation

Hi, I'm just wondering what differences there are between short and long frames. i.e are long frames better at sidehopping than shorter frames. I would just like to know the difference in qualities and handling, etc, because I am looking at monty's for a future bike but am unsure of what short bikes are good at? Could anyone help please? :- :S

this will spiral into the biggest post ever... :S"

(IMO) It doesnt really make that much difference as far as helping with moves. Eventually you will get used to whatever u ride. I think that its whatever suits you, such as if you prefer the feel of a long bike then good. For me personally i love a nice short bike.

Also keep this in mind...

The now well known Neil Tunnicliffe used to ride a brisa (short!) and a pashley before that (also short) and yes he did go big on them too. So the argument that some people think big moves are only possible on long bikes is bollox. I agree that it might help with them...

Thats as much as im willing to say... I know this is going to be a long topic with lots of conflicting posts.

My advice... go out ride some peoples bikes and find what suits you best :- :P

The now well known Neil Tunnicliffe used to ride a brisa (short!) and a pashley before that (also short) and yes he did go big on them too. So the argument that some people think big moves are only possible on long bikes is bollox. I agree that it might help with them...

Whilst I agree with what you're saying, in the time of Brisas and Pashleys, there were no "long" bikes around. In fact I think Brisas were quite long by the standards of the day, although I'm not sure on that.

I think stay length and codpit (sp?) length is more important now.

My t-lite feel the same as a python copy, but a t-pro feels completly differen't, even though it has the same WB.

It's just what suits really. You see the cleanbikes crew doing the same stuff as people who ride zoos (CLS sam wheeler etc).

CLS used to ride a monty :S (in the "tango.mpeg" video) He sidehops pretty high in that to be fair

I think there is a difference but it changes for every person i.e. Person A performs best on a short mod while Person B performs best on a long stock

Im going to try the Zona and see if I become better, but its just as possible Ill be even worse than I am now :-

long bikes have more balance standing still, seem to float more than hop up objects, can only ride pure trials on them, with thier big, squishy tyres.

short bikes are easier to roll around and up walls, more of a flow to the ride of the bike.

much more manageable (quicker to get to where you need it) when riding a section.

personally i like short bikes, as their not as serious to ride (can only ride trials on a long, low and silver one) ive had a koxx 1060 and it rode nicely, but slowly.

I can gap, up and bunnyhop on my 1020, 1050 and 1085. I can do all these things just as far, as high and as well it's just whether it's easier or not.

The shorter the bike, the spinier it is. The longer the bike is, the easier it is to control. This doesn't mean to say you can't spin long bikes or control short bikes, it's mainly just down to personal preference.

Sam

Look at Benito Ros. He rode a Monty.

Look at CLS. He rode a Monty.

Both of them are really good riders. 1 is sick at comp and rode the Monty really well, coming in top rankings. And CLS rode it doing big gaps, step-downs etc.

They have both moved onto longer bikes and have only improved.

I think longer bikes will help any rider, so long as they are in proportion to them. i.e a 4ft guy riding a Vinco. It just wouldnt help them.

Also keep this in mind...

think tim steadman to! he a f**king great rider on a pashley on street or natty

never owned a looong bike but the difference i can see is a short one will bunnyhop and spin and roll (and probs be smoother) eaisier and a looong will swap and tap easier.

I would say mid sized 1060-70 is the Ultimate frame for someone who rides bit old school......

but it seems that all the crazy kids are going long these days !!!

when in rome - buy whichever bike feels nicest to you after youve begged stolen and borrowed goes on other peoples.