Landing

emery

What is good landing technique.

When I land a drop I extend my arms straight and make my backside nearly touch the wheel. This feels like it takes up all the shock and control.

What other ways is there to land : like

.Different landing

.Arms close in

Toby :)

Keeping arms straight is the way to go IMO - and, with knees bent, absorb the shock through your legs and arms.

This is the bit that takes up a lot of shock, and makes it some bit easier on your legs.

From the drop, come off and push down with your legs, even straighten them out full. Get the stem right up to you.

The idea is to let the wheel touch down and then absorb everything - try not to let the wheel impact hard - that's what landing properly is all about, absorbing shock any way possible to spread the impact and prolong the life of your bike and your body!

once the back wheel touches down, you want to start to absorb the impact by bending your knees. At the same time, you can transfer some of it by shifting your body weight back, turning you into a big elastic that stretches across your arms back to your butt. You're effectively counterbalancing the fall of your front wheel by stretching back...

trashzen gives a good account of it - check out the physics of landing bit...

The way you have to think about it is you have to make the impact as long as possible, so really you want to have your bars tucked into your chest and your legs extended as much as possible. Then when you hit the ground, you want to end up with your ass on your back wheel.