Locking A Rear Mech

skandy32

hello.... i remember seeing a looong time ago a quick step - by - step quide to locking a rear mech with pictures and everything! I cant find it..... the search doesnt pick it up, and half the time the search say "search blocked" or somthing!

so anyway..... anyone know where this guide is? or could explain in detail how to do it??

cheers

andy

Basically if you start off by fitting it and getting your chain the right length to run the mech, then all you need is to put an inner cable into the outer cable carrier on the mech( the bit that the outer goes into where the barrel adjuster is), then line it all up and tighten the cable in, then you can adjust it using the barrel adjuster. Simple, if you need pics then let me know and I shall do a little run through.

all done! i already had the derailier settup as themunn suggests, but i wanted to take the spring out.... pretty simple! worked it out myself, bascially take off the mech.... on the tread side theres a little clip that holds the washer on. take off the clip, and the washer type bit, take out the spring and put it all back as it was minuss the spring.

sorry for the useless topic ...

cheers guys anyway (Y) :P

Just wondering, why do you guys lock out mechs?

It means i can jam the mech up against the frame and not have to run a tiny section of cable to keep the mech in line. I would rate it as the best mod i've done to my bike, even above grinding the rims. I haven't had to f-about with my chainline for ages now :blink: Whereas when i was using a cable to keep the mech in place i had to adjust it all the time, which was a bitch as i have no barrel adjuster

how have you guys got that circlip off? mine just keeps spinning when i try priseing it off with a flat head, ive already slipped and stabbed myself with it lol

yeah i had that problem.... i used long nose pliers, that way both sides get pushed at the same time, and it doesnt spin..... :blink:

Well it cant as thats the place it goes to a 1cm gap between stays even if i push it to stays still goes back to the original place.

I don't mean push it up where the top jockey wheel is are it will spring back! I mean slacken off the bolt holding the mech on, twist the mech up so it touches the stay and tighten the bolt. Don't worry if the "screw thing" on the back doesn't line up with the notch on the hanger, without the spring that does nothing anyway.

That help at all?

gallery_3439_966_64162.jpg