Rim Grinds

!aNT!

Can someone please explain the concept of rim grinding and tar.

What do you grind your rims with?

Any specific types of pads?

How much should you grind your rims?

Any alternatives?

How do you apply tar? and how much? and where can you get it from?

Thanks to anybody that helps (Y)

Plazmatic CRM pads and Koxx pads are both suppose to be very good, you grind your rim a) for more power, and (Y) it helps braking in the wet , you can get tar from building suppliers, or if theres a building site nearby which mite be using tar, just ask for some and im sure they mite give you a small bit (You wont need much) When you have tar, then you can just make little lines going round your rim, or any other pattern. You can put a heavy grind on your rims or just a light grind, eventually the grind weres away.

Hope i helped

Jules

What do you grind your rims with?= an angle grinder

Any specific types of pads?=koxx pads (probally browns)

How much should you grind your rims?= you can grind your rim as much as you want, a harsh grind is a grind that has been done alot,and is quite deep, a medium grind is a grind that is done a little less than a harsh grind (ino this is best), and a light grind is a grind that has only been done a little bit this still increases the breaking power but not as much.

Any alternatives?= an alternative to a grind is tar but tar is not a good idea atm because of the wet weather.

How do you apply tar? and how much? and where can you get it from?= you put tar on the rims by just rubbing it on, i find the best way is to spin the wheel and just put a small line around the rim, you can get it from the roads or a hardware store or some roofers will give you a big block, but what ever you do DO NOT PAY FOR TAR!!!!

the purpose of a grind is to increase the braking power, a brake booster also help do this, and tar makes the pads stick to the rim making you and the bike stop quiker.

but as i said i would recomend a grind as tar is not very good at all in the wet, it's waterproof so the water sits on the tar and makes the brake not work.

a grind is really the only way to go to beat the wet weather, if you are planning to rind in the wet/rain!

hope this helps

ollie

grinding rims increases the friction between the pad and the reim giving you better stopping power.

it is also very good in the wet as the water tends to run off down the channeled parts of the grind and off the rim.

you grind your rim with an angle grinder. you use a stone cutting disk. take the grinder and use it at and angle to the rim. try and get the lines that are made by the grinder as radial as possible. (i.e they all face away from the hub.)

tar is an oil based matrerial. it can be used to drematically improve the power of your brake in the DRY.

tar really doesnt work in the wet. im not quite sure why but its somthing to do with the tar breaking back down into oil (i think :) ) and making your brake shit.

A grind is the best thing to do and can last for a very long time if done well. just try not to go too nuts with the grinder eh (Y)

Firstly, wear eye protection if you feel you need it, i always do just 'cos i like my eyes.

Secondly, a cutting disk will give a good, sharp grind which is what you want.

However don't put much pressure on it or it may snap and your face will die.

Stone/metal cutting are good.

Careful you don't actually cut through your rim though, thats not a good look.