Sharing Files Ont Network

munkee

Ok before i reformatted my laptop to share files on my external HD with other people on my local area network all i had to do was right click and then go to sharing and turn on the file sharing bit. Then all my mates had to do was go to run and type \\mycomputername

Now since ive formatted my laptop its not letting them view the files at all. Ive gone throught he exact same procedure as last time but nothing. If i type in \\mycomputername i can see all the files and folders.. but they cant.. any ideas?

Does the network work? Can you ping the other computer (start > run > "cmd" > "ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" (both without the quotes) where the xxx are the IP address of the other computer)?

If you can, then chances are they are not shared properly. It is possible that you have made the folder private, if that's the case then you need to un-make it private. That option should be on the same tab as for sharing the folder.

Or the other thing that springs to mind is if you are using a different form of file sharing you may need to enable the guest account on the PC that is sharing the files (control panel > user accounts > guest account > enable).

This is on the university network, you can go to view workgroup computers and see everyone connected in your halls ( not whole uni ). Ive enabled the guest account because it was disabled gonna get someone to check it for me now. Thanks for the help so far