Bottom Bracket.

Mc Lovin

Hi.

I was out riding tonight and my bottom bracket started cracking and clicking, so i took a look at it and my cranks wobbled, i tried to tighten them up, but they were already tight so had a closer look at it and the middle of the bottom bracket where the cranks are connected to is loose.

I'm just not sure what to do, could i mend it or do i have to buy a new one. If it helps it's a standard BB on a T-pro, Also I do not have a bottom bracket tool.

Any suggestions appreciated :P .

hey,

from what i can guess the bearings have gone. Go to your LBS and buy a bottom bracket tool to fit your bb and a crank tool if you havent got one and remove your bb. Then if your unsure what length bb it is, measure it ( its PROBABLY 127.5mm) and buy a new one. replace the old bb with the new one and put the cranks back on. after riding for a while check your cranks for tightness as they will probably settle down and just keep an eye on things for a little while :P

P.S bottom brackets are normal thread on left handside and opposite on the driveside :)

I Tightened up the BB on the none drive side and it was very loose, but i don't have a BB tool so i just used a hammer and screwdriver. I can't get the cranks off on the drive side to get to the BB but i have got the bolt off, so i was just wondering how to do that.

The axle where the cranks are connected to is moving sideways ( <- --==-- -> but only the middle of the bb not the whole thing ) when i force it. So does that mean the BB is defently broken?

Cheers guys :P .

i had a closer look at it and the middle of the bottom bracket where the cranks are connected to is loose.

Any suggestions appreciated :P .

Loose in what sence?

If the bottom braket is loose, tighten it. Buy a tool if you have to, or get someone else to do it.

As for the cranks, the tapers on the cranks / BB could be rounded out slightly. Depending on how bad it is you may have to buy new cranks and BB.

The Bearing in your BB have gone it happens, take it to your LBS and they will get it out in second, you can take one of there options with BB:

option 1: spend a little replace alot

option 2: spend a bit more replace the same amount

option 3: spend alot (relatively) and get a life time warranty and they replace

option 3 is the best but you have to have the money for it.

hope this helps.

Mike.

I've decided to get a new BB because i have tightened mine and it is still moving, but i'm unsure of which size to get and what BB. I have got a T-pro with muscleman cranks, so square taper. I want to spend about £20 for the mean while then spend a bit more on one when christmas comes. Any help appreciated.

I'm having the same problem but mine is just clicking when i'm pedalling. My cranks are also tight so i think i'm goin to have to take the bb apart an put it back together again.

That's what mine stared off doing last week then it just got worse, Now it is tight and still wobles like hell so, meh new BB.

I think I'll get the NECO or Echo 04, But don't know what size to get.

Edited by tom_wilko