Bar & Stem Recommendations...

Paul - bedfordtrials

Right, as i've got back into riding I've found my bar and stem setup seems to feel rather poor (far too 'hunched' when on the back wheel) and generally just not comfortable. Obviously I've got taller, etc since I last rode the bike (nearly 2 years ago now!).

Anywho, I'm looking for a new bar and stem. I ride an ancient 26" Planet X Zebdi (!) and ride in a streety style manner. I'm around 5' 10" in height (if that helps?) And as I havent been into trials for ages, i dont know what's currently on the market. So if you lot could reccommend what bars (i'd prefer risers) and specify what rise would suit me best.

And also what stem (length, degree of rise, etc.)

Obviously I dont want to spend a vast amount of money on them as i only ride once every few weeks, so there's no point in spending loads of money on stuff which I won't use very often.

I think thats about it, anything else you need to know, just ask.

Recommend away folks,

Cheers,

Paul.

What are you running at the moment?

I would go for something like 110mm stem which would give a fairly long reach, with some high rise bars (2.5"), which I like lots. High bars seems to make streety stuff a lot easier. Stem length is a pretty personal thing I guess, a lot of people ride with a much shorter stem and are fine on the back wheel etc. But it sounds like you could do with a longer stem, that would probably make it more comfortable.

What are you running at the moment?

I would go for something like 110mm stem which would give a fairly long reach, with some high rise bars (2.5"), which I like lots. High bars seems to make streety stuff a lot easier. Stem length is a pretty personal thing I guess, a lot of people ride with a much shorter stem and are fine on the back wheel etc. But it sounds like you could do with a longer stem, that would probably make it more comfortable.

At the moment I'm using a Kore Lite 3 (I think thats the name) erm its 75mm long I think, not sure on the rise. As for bars, I'm using Azonic Doublewalls, 1.5" rise.

I ride an ancient 26" Planet X Zebdi

snap!! i'm 6ft2ish and I'm running a 100mm raceface prodigy stem (with a tincy rise - say bout 15%) and matching riser 1.5" bars.

I find this settup pretty good, and i'm highly influenced by the streety side of trials too.

At the mo, im actually considering popping on a slightly smaller length stem, to see if it improves bunny hops etc (i noticed the planet x trialskings boys used quite short stems in they're vids recently)

hope that helps

andy

I'd go with the above, 100mm 10deg stem and 1.5" bars. It's what I run on my Brisa and seems like a damn good compromise between street and 'proper' trials to me.

If you're lucky Mark Anthony may still have some EA50 stem and bar deals in this combination on ebay, if you're even luckier like I was they might give you EA70 bars by mistake instead. I got both brand new for £46!

Daniel

EDIT: they do and cos i'm nice here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/easton-EA50-Bar-Stem...1QQcmdZViewItem

Edited by djb

Sorry to steal your topic but I run a very, very gay promax stem because it has a decent rise... I have a Zoo! Pitbull but I found that my 5 deg. stem in my shed felt really really low, and its too long...

(I ride mostly street - just lurching and hopping up stuff)

Could anyone suggest a decent stem (like a hifi) that DOESN@T have bar bulge as I run Azonic WF's

Thanks very much guys,

Nathan >_< :huh:

Edited by nafan