Best Braking?

wayneone

Hello everyone,

I was quite bored last night and my mind began to wonder what is the best form of braking Rim or disk?

Now im not asking how to get good brakes so no "get a grind" or "get some good pads" ect, No what i want to know is which one technicaly is better? Is it better to stop a wheel from the rim or the hub?

At first thoughts i belived it to be the rim due do it being far away from the hub which is where the wheel spins from giving more leverage, But then i thought but if the wheel stops from where it starts this will give the better stopper or will it? So after being puzzled for a while i decided to come on here and pick your brains on the subject.

Discuss...

A friend called Don, An aussie :)

I'm not sure whether this is even right, But that due to the distance from the hub The circumfrence makes the same power as a rotor would I.E

26 Inch wheel rim brake = 26" Rotor

20 inch wheel disc=20" rotor

As you probably know, Most disc brake companies don't go any higher that an 8/9 inch rotor.

but in nearly every case, if you have a go on a bike with a decent disk on the the front, it will out perform a rim brake every time no matter what the weather will be or how well its set up, in my opinion anyway. although you can set up v brakes to be pretty kick ass. especially an XT one :D , haha

Disc's can work better simply because they have a different pad ratio, Thats what makes a RB lever more powerful that a normal Maggie lever as the piston is a mm smaller in the lever. If you fit a hope Lever to a magura, which you can't due to fluid... The the magura would be more powerful than a standard lever.

If you fit a hope Lever to a magura, which you can't due to fluid... The the magura would be more powerful than a standard lever.

Thats a lie and you know it. I did it as did Leson to thank you.

Need to be a Hope Sport C2 leaver, new seals

Magura barb fititng, o-ring to seal it at the leaver

Water ONLY, the seals die, blow up, expand, cored with maggy oil, so water only please

It's very powerfull and great fun. I've my old spear leaver if anyone is intrested,

Another thing that i dont thnk anyone in this thread has mentioned is that with stopping

at the hub there is flex in the spokes, meaning that rim brakes should be better as they have

direct contact with the tyre. But at the end of the day, disks are still ace!