Big Problem With King Hub

BobbyD

having a big problem with my rear king hub lately, it keeps missing when i go to gap or put alot of force on it. i nearly face planted today again with it and im rapidly loosing confidence in doing anything.

my friends is doing exactly the same, weve both stripped ours down and re-greased them a few times to try and stop it but its made no difference, the hub is tight and theres no play side to side and we cant figure out what the problem is. has anyone had this problem with their hub? how did u get round it?

ive tried greaseing it and leaving it dry but both make no difference. any help would be gratefully appreciated as we both have a comp at the end of the month

What kind of grease are you using?

Remember when you take it apart, to thoroughly clean out the helical splines on the driveshell, and the drive ring on the inside of the hub. Use a toothbrush to make sure they're completely spotless.

Use a thin oil, such as Finishline Chain oil. I use Dr X's Xlite bike spray, seems to do the job nicely.

Mike. :)

Mines started skipping because of the cold i think. I used 10w30 motor oil when it was warmer and it worked fine but now its colder it started making my hub skipped. I put some finish line green lube in there instead and it worked fine for a good few weeks, but now its started skipping again so i dont think i cleaned it out very well (i was in a rush). I only put a tiny bit of grease on the drive ring aswell, it gradually got louder as i rode, started off pretty quiet after greasing.

So yeah, use a good grease like motor oil or finish line and make sure it dries fully after cleaning it. I clean mine with Wd40. Also you can get the CK manual on their website, they recommend a 10w motor oil if you dont have king grease.

Does replacing the spring make much difference? And where can i buy them?

i have the steel freehub body aswell just to clear that up. when i strip it down (i.e axle out along with the freehub body) i try as much as i can to clean the splines on both inside the hub and on the body. i wasnt sure what grease to use, so i made a mix of engine oil and grease, would this be the problem?

Go buy some WD40 and Finishline Wet XC lube.

Pull off the driveshell and blast the splines with WD40 so clean everything, then let that dry for a bit (hair dryer speeds everything up) and open a gap between the driverings and dribble in a little finishline and then spray in a little wd40 to thin the finishline even more. then put on the driveshell again and away you go.

Jobs a goodun, mine hasnt skipped for about 6 months now.

surely a difference in grease doesnt make that big a difference does it? ill take it to bits tonite and clean everything with gt85 and grease with my car oil, see if that makes a difference as it cant go on like it is

surely a difference in grease doesnt make that big a difference does it? ill take it to bits tonite and clean everything with gt85 and grease with my car oil, see if that makes a difference as it cant go on like it is

YES IT DOES MAKE A HUGE DIFFERENCE.

NEVER NEVER NEVER EVER use grease in a king!!

It's far too thick! The driverings cannot slide up and down the hex's!

Finishline and WD40, GT85 evaporates too quickly. You want the lubrication as thin as possible.

YES IT DOES MAKE A HUGE DIFFERENCE.

NEVER NEVER NEVER EVER use grease in a king!!

It's far too thick! The driverings cannot slide up and down the hex's!

Finishline and WD40, GT85 evaporates too quickly. You want the lubrication as thin as possible.

mate, im 21 not 12 ;)

ill give that a go then, thanks for your help

Thicker greases make it easyer to skip.

Not being rude but your not really taking their advice they have said use wd40 and a xc lube or another thin line lube.

And you have just said your going to clean it with gt85 and then use car oil, from what i know most car oils are quite thick and you need a thin lube not a thick one.

:rolleyes:

Edit: Ahh late post

Edited by samthebiker

i havent got a king yet, but IMO its due to the low temperature. grease gets very thick when its cold, and is probably blocking the system. dunno if you should use the ringdrive without lube, but i'd remove it with petrol and put some WD40 or thin oil in.

you can best see the effect of low temerature on a front shocker, in the winter they don't work at all :D

Thicker greases make it easyer to skip.

Not being rude but your not really taking their advice they have said use wd40 and a xc lube or another thin line lube.

And you have just said your going to clean it with gt85 and then use car oil, from what i know most car oils are quite thick and you need a thin lube not a thick one.

:rolleyes:

Edit: Ahh late post

i have wd40 not a problem, but i dont have this finishline xc lube and since none of the shops are open ill try the engine oil. i have an evo and the oil is very thin so that will do the job.

• 1 month later...

sorry to bring up this thread again but darren if you give me a shout i've got some proper chris king ring drive lube which should be used in hubs so i could take the hub apart and service it for you, my hub feels soo much better after using it, tried finish line lube before and it's just not as smooth ;)

just send it to tarty and pay for a service, tarty's services apparently never skip

yeh its pretty damn god servce he strips the hub down cleans it to death regreases the bolts and it dosent slip after my last service was like a year ago and its only just started skipping but generaly its a good idea to service your hub once every 6 months

Pauly

I got my king 2nd hand, the last owner had it skip on him and he lost confidence in it. It only skipped once on him, and he susspected its because the axle was loose, but still he wanted a change.

I opened it up as much as i could without removing bearings, degreased it fully, then blasted everything with gt85 to make sure it was clean. I then used ring drive lube (which is actually quite cheap- i got a little bottle, enough to do quite a few serives for £4) on the actual teeth area, but not exesseily, and used finishline wet lube on the splines on the freehub body. Is loud smooth, and so far hasnt skipped.