Cogs And Freewheels Need Help

new_to_trials

Hey, At the min i'm riding a t-bird with cog on fixed onza hub and a freewheel on echo cranks i have a spear acs freewheel and was wounding what would it help be with if i put it on the back so i would have one up front and one at the back my mate said it let you pedal backward or should i just keep it with rear cog on fixed hub and a front freewheel all help i well be must thankful for.

thanks

sam lewis

Edited by new_to_trials

For a start you would still have to pedal backwards when fakie-ing, otherwise it wont engage when you pedal kick forward

Secondly the only benefir it would have is your chain would only move + wear when you pedalled. Freewheelling and pedalling backwards would allow the chain to not move at all.

The Drawbacks

It would be very rare that your freewheels would engage at the same time, meaning you will have the feeling of only one freewheel at a time. Crap feeling

As said above, move chance of things going wrong

More cost to replace + service

From the sounds of things, 18t freewheels, front and back = 1:1 ratio. Not right at all lol you what 18:12 ratio

For a start you would still have to pedal backwards when fakie-ing, otherwise it wont engage when you pedal kick forward

Secondly the only benefir it would have is your chain would only move + wear when you pedalled. Freewheelling and pedalling backwards would allow the chain to not move at all.

The Drawbacks

It would be very rare that your freewheels would engage at the same time, meaning you will have the feeling of only one freewheel at a time. Crap feeling

As said above, move chance of things going wrong

More cost to replace + service

From the sounds of things, 18t freewheels, front and back = 1:1 ratio. Not right at all lol you what 18:12 ratio

Thanks you so much thats all i was looking to read.

thanks sam lewis

It wouldn't let you pedal backwards unless you ran a left-handed freewheel - which you wouldn't be able to put on.

you'd just end up with extra weight, more chance of bits failing and unless you were very lucky you'd probably end up with uneven engagements - which'd confuse the shit out of me.

if you change anything, run a fixed cog up front and a freewheel on the back, that will at least increase your engagements over running FFW. If you do that you'll need to run a 27 tooth cog on the front to get the 'correct' gearing.

If you want improvements in the drivetrain just buy an eno.

Edited by poopipe

you'd probably lose engagement points as both freewheels would need to be engaged :) (I think)

Yeah you do.

Oh, and it doesn't mean you can ride backwards either.

And a 18 to 18 ratio is stupid, you wont 18 to 12 or 16 to 12. (Y)

Edited by wayn3

i don't think you can do it

the front free wheel setup has the chain rotating while you free wheel

the rear freewheel has the chain stationary while you freewheel so both forces are pulling against each other

surely this means that you would'nt go anywhere

I think it'd work the other way round, ie. the chain would remain stationary while you were freewheeling and you'd get an engagement on both if you pedalled - they wouldn't necessarily happen at the same time though.

If by some freak accident you managed to line it right you could end up with double the engagements. The downside being that you wouldn't be able to get up anything cos your gearing would be too slack...