Tips For A Strong Wheel Build - Wanted

Shez.sheridan

Ok...my second topic for the day - a long time since I last managed that one.

I've a try-all rim on a profile hub on my mod...and due to the low pressures and quite a harsh grind, I managed to fold the sidewalls in several places (I've bent them back, but I want to build a new one up)

After weeks of stroking mt bike in anticipation, my new try-all rim has arrived. So I need to get strarted. Now I am in Italy & bikeshops here aren't really up to speed on trials, hence I'd rather pit my wits myself and get it done...

So, any tips on how to build up a good solid wheel? If the worst comes to the worst I can always build it up & get the shop to tension it correctly?

Cheers & buona notte

Derv

Make sure you lace the wheels right, try and make the four spokes around the valve hole (two either side) face away from the hole and i also make it so the logo on the hub faces the valve hole. Just what good wheel builders do as pride i guess. I also wouldnt use a cheap spoke tool to do it, splash out on a Park Tool one or a good quality one.

I also wouldnt use a cheap spoke tool to do it, splash out on a Park Tool one or a good quality one.

Although I agree, you can get away with 1 wheel build with a new cheapo one. Thats the philosphy im relying on anyway.

Funny this topic is posted as Im going to lace my ronnie to a profile, after ditching my koxx rim (Y)

I have just dented my try all rim like is was a piece of cheese , do many others find this and yes I think I'll take a look into that guide as I want to do my own wheel builds soon.

Cheers for that

Craig

Yeah, thats what I did, I was running about 18psi front/back, and spent the day trying to gap about 6-7ft from one thin wall to another. I managed it a few times...but my rim had other ideas - I have creases in the sidewall now after straightening it out..lol. When I run 27psi I can't quite make the gap, but my rim survives...b*stard!?!

http://www.gsportbmx.co.uk/custom/wheel_build/wheels.html

Thats the wheel build guide I used. I found it more helpful than the Sheldon Brown one to be honest.

My only main tips would be to take your time, and dont get stressed or annoyed. If you do, walk away for a bit and come back later. If you get stressed and rush it, your wheel will be rubbish.

Patience is a Virtue :)

G-Sport george knows how to build wheels, he built me a vandal onto a Sun Big City and it lasted two years without being trued, this included me learning 360's and trying to bang a few 'whips out and failing badly. I also snapped the chainstay on my frame through under rotated 360's and the wheel is still sound...