Break Set-up?

Jared

Hey,

I have ovation single digit 3 brakes with tektro levers and the front brake is quite good but the rear is just lame.

Could someone tell me the best way to set them up so they work better (like a step-to-step guide or something)I want some magura HS33 but i just dont have the money at the moment as im spending it on more important components.If anyone could tell me how to make them better on a tight budget that would be great.

If this helps i only have like standard pads (pro max) but they still have life left in them.Maybe's if i bought better pads would this help at all?

Thanks in advance

Right, then...

1. Take off the brake, and you will see 3 holes for the pin/spring thingy to go in.
  2. Put the spring/pin in the top holes.
  3. Tighten up the cable in the bolt to how you want it.
  4. Now you should notice it springs back alot quicker?
  5. Now (if needed) Just set up the springs, by tightening either a small allen key bolt, or a screw
Remember, if one side rubs, loosen the other spring slightly, and tighten the side that was rubbing.

Just play about with the springs until it doesn't rub (Y)

EDIT: Get some decent pads too, Plaz CRV's maybe?

Edited by Dan6061

Oh right, I can't remember from just sitting here, bottom one it is (Y)

Sorry,its actually me in the wrong :$ i did it wrong.Ive done it now though there's a noticeable difference so thanks alot.Do them pads work good on a smooth rim though because it says "designed for a grind" on tartybikes.

Thanks

Ok thanks.Do you know what dan6061 said would this not make the brakes worse being springy as it makes it harder to pull in rather than having a lighter brake? :S

As long as you don't have loads of tension in them, and if you have strong fingers :P , it should be fine.

And Plaz are awesome on smooth rims, just not in the wet...

Try using a oddysey (sp?) linear slic cable too, I think that's the one anyway... :ermm:

As long as you don't have loads of tension in them, and if you have strong fingers :P , it should be fine.

And Plaz are awesome on smooth rims, just not in the wet...

Try using a oddysey (sp?) linear slic cable too, I think that's the one anyway... :ermm:

Ok thanks.Im not sure whether i should save my money for a month or so and get a Magura HS33 or spend money on my cable brake to make that better.What do you think?

Ok thanks.Im not sure whether i should save my money for a month or so and get a Magura HS33 or spend money on my cable brake to make that better.What do you think?

Some people prefer cable some prefer maggie. I find that a magura has a much better feel to it and I feel more secure with one. I don't really know why I suppose its because iv'e had bad experiences with cable.

Magura (Y) .

Some people prefer cable some prefer maggie. I find that a magura has a much better feel to it and I feel more secure with one. I don't really know why I suppose its because iv'e had bad experiences with cable.

Magura (Y) .

Yes i've heard good things about them.My old mountain bike had a hope mono mini which i liked a lot better than my cable brake.

Dont just leave it at adjusting the spring tension as has been said.

make sure everything is clean- clean the rim and the pads, and if the pads have uneven wear on them, either replace them or cut them back to a flat surface using a sharp stanley knife.

grease the pivot points on the brake arms, and the leverl. lube up the cable with GT85 or similar- this will make the whole thing feel smoother.

make sure the pads hit the rim square on (best for trials) or slightly toed in, ie the front of the pad hits the rim just before the back, this makes brakes quieter, and bettter for XC/normal riding.

make sure your rim is straight, to prevent rubbing, and set the pads up as close to the rim as possible.

all of that should make your Vs much nicer!

Dont just leave it at adjusting the spring tension as has been said.

make sure everything is clean- clean the rim and the pads, and if the pads have uneven wear on them, either replace them or cut them back to a flat surface using a sharp stanley knife.

grease the pivot points on the brake arms, and the leverl. lube up the cable with GT85 or similar- this will make the whole thing feel smoother.

make sure the pads hit the rim square on (best for trials) or slightly toed in, ie the front of the pad hits the rim just before the back, this makes brakes quieter, and bettter for XC/normal riding.

make sure your rim is straight, to prevent rubbing, and set the pads up as close to the rim as possible.

all of that should make your Vs much nicer!

Thats just what i needed thanks ^_^ I will go and do everthing you've said and i will edit the post when ive finished.Thanks again

I've spent a good hour cleaning and lubricating my brakes and what can i say,there immense cant see how Magura's could be much better nice and smooth with lots of bite.Thanks for helping people ^_^

Magura's have loads of power behind them.

Plus the water bled ones feel lovely (Y)