Paint Strippage

The lemonade man

Hi guys.

The paint on my t-pro is looking a bit tatty so I'm going to take the paint off, do I need to laquer it after I've done it or just polish it? I read that topic someone made about stripping paint etc. a while ago and have done a few parts before so should be ok but any tips to get a nice finish?

Ummm, read my first post, I was checking to see if there was anything about t-pro's, such as what joe-elding said.

Joe-Elding thanks alot, does this stuff work as well as paint stripper? (as easy to use?)

That wasn't what he asked

Please read the post!

I too would also like to know how to lacquer a frame properly, does it need anything special ort will any old llacquer do? Is there a special way it needs to be applied to a frame after its been polished?

I have stripped my t-pro frame down (kind of) and caustic soda is proving absolute shit...ive followed instructions..it worked a couple of weeks ago on my pythons rims...went to do my saracen's rim today and it didnt touch it..at all...strange..

zoo

QUOTE(deanie-b @ Mar 11 2006, 07:59 PM)

That's because the saracen's aren't anodised, At least mine isn't :)

I forgot to mention.... it's my t-poo im more annoyed with..because MOST..and i use the word lightly,MOST of the paint is off..but it wont get odd little bits of,especially the bit under a sticker that says something like "u6 aliminium" or something like that.

zoo

Caustic soda is nasty stuff, wear a mask, I used it to do rims, it takes a while to start working but it leaves a lovely finish. If your in a hurry, mix it strong but rinse it as soon as the colour goes, will work well, afterwards, polish with autosol till it's gleaming then laquer over with decent stuff from like, Hellfrauds or something.

A tip for you if you want to take the paint of and then have a good finish. Take it to your local industrial estate if you have one and look for any metal finishes shops and ask if they can bead or sand blast your frame then once they have done it ,buy some laquer and give your frame about 3 to four coats, becarefull not to put on to much as it will run down the frame and will be a mess.

Think it cost,s something like 5 or 10 pounds to bead or sand blast and it will make your frame look amazing. (Y):)

Good luck

DOM

Edited by domonza

Thanks guys. Wasn't working so I just took the laquer/stickers off with nitromors and left it at that. Looks pretty good IMO (Y)

i just hit the stickered bits on mine bongo style with nitromorse mousse - took about 10 minutes in total and I didnt even have to disassemble the bike .

*bongo style - a technique based on bongo's bike painting how-to