Computer - Where Can I Find My Socket Number

andyzplace

hey guys.

i got an emachines 570 computer (bought in 2002) and its got an intel celeron processor in it.

apparently my motherboard has died and i need a new one (but ive been reccomended to get a motherboard kit)

thing is i cant seem to find out what my socket number is (nothing from emachines customer 'support')

any info on what my socket number is / on what motherboard kit would be fine (about £100 mark) would be greatly appriciated.

as you have proberly guessed, i am no computer whizz however i have been running this 2ghz intel celeron / 512ram / geforce 4mx 440 / 80gb hd (all read off the front of the tower :$ ) setup for a while now and its been great, so anything around the same standard will be awesome.

thanks alot in advance (i know its quite a lot to ask)

cheers, andy

hmmm. i believe that i have just answered my question with the motherboard kit bit.

please put me right if im talkin poop but doesnt the socket number define how many pins attatch the processor to the motherboard.

if so would that mean that it is irrelivant if i am to get a motherboard kit (which i assume comes with a processor)

:unsure:

please put me right if im talkin poop but doesnt the socket number define how many pins attatch the processor to the motherboard.

Correct. Your current CPU is socket478, but that won't matter if you're going to get a new CPU as well, as you have realised. But there is no real point in getting a new CPU unless you're going to get something a lot faster. If you're happy with the computer then just get a new motherboard.

How do you know it's the motherboard that's the problem?

You could probably get a second hand 478 board fairly cheap on eBay. If you upgraded your processor as well, chances are it would be unbalanced with the rest of your system as it is.

I'd sooner build a new machine than upgrade a 2GHz Celeron machine.

Question - is your case MicroATX or ATX? And I would find a mate to take a look at it personally. Some of those machines can have silly custom things in there.

Also - what makes you certain it's the motherboard that is dead?

cheers for the replies (Y)

i am going on what my uncle (who works in computing) and a guy from a local computer shop.

as there was no power we (well they) thought that it was the power pack. on replacing that with no luck they took all the memory out to see if there was any response from the computer (im sure you know that it should beep its ass off) but sadly, nothing.

the main reason i was advised to get a kit asd because they told me it could have been the power pack shorting that killed the motherboard (which is a common result apparently) therefore it could have damaged the cpu also.

what do you think? as i said. i can only go on advice really.

cheers again, andy