I Need Help

pinky

Lo' I have two computers networked with a router/hub type affair,

When I try and copy videos over from the other pc it comes up with access denied, but when I copy videos/files from mine to the other it works fine :@

I can ping them both from each pc, I think its just permissons but when I try and add users from this computer on the other it wont show this computer

Any ideas?

It probaly doesnt make it sense as im pulling my hair out

Is one of them on Linux perchance? If so then you'll probably have to sort it out yourself. Networking can be a bitch. For some reason I can only share my videos folder. When I try to share my music folder, using EXACTLY the same settings, it doesn't work. Stupid computers.

Weird, i have the exact same problem as you. Works fine both ways for my computer and downstairs computer but on my brothers, he cant access my shared, but i can access his. All i do is if he wants to give me a vid, put it in his shared folder, then i copy it from there, on my pc, to wherever.

I have a similar problem though not entirely the same, well not really the same at all. I have two computers running xp and a netgear modem/wireless router. I cannot for the life of me get them to share files or share the printer connected to the desktop pc (connected directly to the modem with a cable) from my desktop to my laptop. I have tried everything recommended and there's still no luck with it.

I have a similar problem though not entirely the same, well not really the same at all. I have two computers running xp and a netgear modem/wireless router. I cannot for the life of me get them to share files or share the printer connected to the desktop pc (connected directly to the modem with a cable) from my desktop to my laptop. I have tried everything recommended and there's still no luck with it.

What have you done so far?

Essentially all you need to do is to put the computers in the same workgroup (right-click my computer, then click the computer name tab), and set up some shares (Right-click on folders and click on the sharing tab). Then it usually helps to switch the computers off, and then restart them. If you restart them one at a time, sometimes they don't update the settings, it's a bit stupid.

If that doesn't work, you might need to enable simple file sharing (I think that's in tools--> Folder options in my computer). And if none of that works, then you've probably got a stupid bizarre problem like Pinky's got.

Is one of them on Linux perchance?

nop my linux box forces its way into everywhere I can access everything on the windows pc even without it having permissions its pretty scary stuff...

I think I shall have to keep on trying :(

What have you done so far?

Essentially all you need to do is to put the computers in the same workgroup (right-click my computer, then click the computer name tab), and set up some shares (Right-click on folders and click on the sharing tab). Then it usually helps to switch the computers off, and then restart them. If you restart them one at a time, sometimes they don't update the settings, it's a bit stupid.

If that doesn't work, you might need to enable simple file sharing (I think that's in tools--> Folder options in my computer). And if none of that works, then you've probably got a stupid bizarre problem like Pinky's got.

Well its worked.. stupid me had one computer with the workgroup MSHOME and the other with just HOME. It couldn't find it automatically but it was fine after i typed in the computer name and printer name.

cheers tom... still got no clue aboput how to share files but i'm going to be reformatting one of the pc's tonight hopefully anyway so it's not going to be too much of a problem.

Just before i do, I'm copying all the files onto portable hard drives and then i'm going to use the recovery disks that came with the laptop to put it back to how it was several years ago. Is there anything i should know before i do it as i've never done it before.