Tubeless Questions

CurtisRider

righty i really want to go tubeless on my 24 jump bike (been riding in some thorny trails recently :P) , and more than likely on my trials bike too (just for fun)

i read through mikes topic about how to do it, but im a little confused as to what valve set up i need?

could i just cut off a valve from an old inner tube and leave a decent mount of lip on it to prevent it popping out? (presumably one of the valves where they have a little nut to lock them in place like on racers)

also for the rimtape, just get a smaller inner tube cut into a strip and stretch it round? ive seen kits on the internet that use a special rimtape-do i need that?

also regarding the latex-ive seen a few on ebay, is there any different types you can buy? what works best for people?

im sorry if all these have been answered before, i just want to make sure :)

cheers, paul

the way I do it is:

get a 20" innertube and strech it over the rim, slice it down the middle and spread it open (clean it too)

mount the tyre on with the flaps of innertube on the outside, leave an open section of tyre and pour in half a cup of latex.

I just got a litre of liquid latex off ebay (nothing special, just bog standard stuff), you will need to water it down, a little bit of trial and error is needed to get the latex how you want.

pop the rest of the tyre inplace and inflate with a compressor. when its sealed (if it does!) hold the wheel up and shake it so the latex makes full contact with the tyre bead.

now trim away the excess innertube and ride away.

(N) Tubless is more of a gimmick for cross country!! if you want to run tubless get the right tyres, rims and valves..

The problems about thorns will still happen as i was given a mavic tubless wheel set to test when tubless was a fad 2-3 years ago.. when you get a puncture from a thorn/glass/nail your trye still goes down and you have to fix the tyre with a special patch!!! then as for trials use the rims and tyre choice for tubless is sh#t on the rear and if you dent the rim theres a chance it can leak (as i fond out on my cross country bike on a steep rocky fire trail)

Stick to tubes there's more of a choice and there easy as piss to fix (Y) look at what you have to do to seal a bodge tubbless, then ask yourself if you want to try that out on the trail!!!!!

And yes i try'd the tubbless sealing goo to stop punctures and it's crap.....

what goo did you use?

When I did my wheel I soulc stab it with nails and spokes and it would seal it in seconds!

I even put my lightest tyre on and whacked the wheel as hard as I could on a sharp corner, nothing happened! well, thats a lie, the rim dented a little and I ripped a knob off the tyre, but there were still no leaks.

I think it can work well for the front, but not as great on the back, the tyre roll leaks air.

BUT if its on a street bike or you like to run 50+psi then its great.

what goo did you use?

When I did my wheel I soulc stab it with nails and spokes and it would seal it in seconds!

I even put my lightest tyre on and whacked the wheel as hard as I could on a sharp corner, nothing happened! well, thats a lie, the rim dented a little and I ripped a knob off the tyre, but there were still no leaks.

I think it can work well for the front, but not as great on the back, the tyre roll leaks air.

BUT if its on a street bike or you like to run 50+psi then its great.

Mavic tubless seal and a latex based sealant.. sometimes it worked, most of the time not (N)

I ride both types of trials (street and natural) and i if you run 50 psi in your tyre! whats the point!!!! ride a bmx :huh:

I just got a litre of liquid latex off ebay (nothing special, just bog standard stuff), you will need to water it down, a little bit of trial and error is needed to get the latex how you want.

would this shit work?

I ride both types of trials (street and natural) and i if you run 50 psi in your tyre! whats the point!!!! ride a bmx :huh:

ive found high pressure to be pretty good recently, ive been running my tyres at 40 for the past few weeks and its made the streety shizzle far more fun :)

narr, bmx's suck, well 20" ones do :-

24" or 26" bmxs/trials hybrids are where its at! :D

for sure (Y) i just couldnt get into bmx :(

narr, bmx's suck, well 20" ones do :-

24" or 26" bmxs/trials hybrids are where its at! :D

I ride a bmx as well, and as for the 24"-26" hybrids bmx/trials.........whatever B)

would this shit work?

NO.... (N)

"""""""ive found high pressure to be pretty good recently, ive been running my tyres at 40 for the past few weeks and its made the streety shizzle far more fun :) """"""

If i'm out on a street ride a only ride about 30psi max if that.. and normal run about about 20-25psi but thats only cos from the sound of what you do, i ride a different style to you and it comes down to personal choice..

But if you think i talk shit, and never what to take anything i say seriously only lisen to one thing "TUBLESS SUCKS" (N)

Edited by DAB

At this point I'd like to add that I've been running tubeless in my front wheel since the beginning of November, with no problems, and it's not deflated at all, and has had several punctures, all sealed.

My setup is with a High Roller UST tyre, Mavic X517 rim, and a stretched 20" tube.

I had it in the rear (same tyre, DX32 rim) for about a month, but took it out, as I had to run way too high pressures as considered sensible, as otherwise the tyre folded off to easily, and burped air.

I'd also say definately use UST tyres, it will make life much easier. (Y)

Mike.

thanks for the help so far guys :) i think im going to try it on my jumpy/street bike first, cos itll be run at 40psi at least anyway :) gotta decide on a new front rim before i do it on the front of my trials bike :P

so what latex do you recomend, thats ready to go? got a bit of a mixed response with the stuff i suggested :(