Import Taxes

plainlazy84

I have found out that before import taxes/ charges its quite a bit cheaper to import what im after, but i have no idea how much im likely to get charged by Customs.

It costs $40 before shipping

and $63 after shipping.

does anybody know how much im likely to get charged ? Is it a percentage of the total cost or what? Also does anyone know how they charge it to you? will they send me a separate letter in the post with a nice hefty bill ?

I figured as a fair few people used to import Chris King's from the States that someone would know.

Cheers!

cheers. Didnt spot that.

what experiences have people had with the system? That looks bloody complicated and I dont really fancy calling up customs for an interogation by the sounds of it, unless I have to. If people could say how much they got charged in total and how much the goods were worth? So I can get a better idea of what to expect.

From my experience with customs and the like, they're not daft. Something that's expensive - say a video camera - that's obviously worth more than £20 then they'll charge you appropriately. Also trying to get around import charges is technically tax fraud too..

That said, not everything gets checked as it should. Also very few tax brackets are clearly defined, so it's almost impossible to accurately estimate what the charges could be. Camera lenses can be anywhere from 7% to about 15% duty, depending which description you use.

Also - iirc - the duty is paid on the combined value of the item and shipping, and then VAT is applied to the sum of item value, shipping and duty. Plus there's a handling charge on the top.

For something small, you'll probably get away with it, but don't count on it. There's a large amount of luck to see what your final bill will be.

If something is $63 shipped, then that's about £37. Assuming duty at 8% (£2.96) and VAT (£6.99), then your final price will be £46.95 + customs handling charge (a fiver?). This is a guess, but it may help you as a guide.

For something of that smaller amount, I'd guess there's a higher chance of it just passing through customs. Mark it as a gift (Y)