How Many Times Can You Helicoil A Frame

bikerboy16

You can either helicoil or timesert your frame, it's easy to do. You can either buy the kit yourself for about £25 so youll need a 4.8mm coil kit and a 5.2mm drill bit. Or you can take it to an engineer to get it done which will probably work out at about the same price.

You can helicoil a frame as many times as you want as long as you get the right extractor or are very handy with a drill as you can only tap the coil threads in once

helicoil, can someone please give me more of an insight into this "process"...i gather its to replace threads that have been stripped, but what actually happens ? like how come the hole/thread can remain the same size surely you would have to make the new thread bigger ? like dig into the frame more ? :huh: baffled >_<

helicoil, can someone please give me more of an insight into this "process"...i gather its to replace threads that have been stripped, but what actually happens ? like how come the hole/thread can remain the same size surely you would have to make the new thread bigger ? like dig into the frame more ? :huh: baffled >_<

Basically what they do is they tap the stripped thread to the size above e.g. if the thread is m4 then they tap it to m5.Then they screw a steel insert in wich makes it back to m4. (Y) .I had my thread in my frame helicoiled it didn`t cost a penny!Takes 2 mins aswell!

Basically what they do is they tap the stripped thread to the size above e.g. if the thread is m4 then they tap it to m5.Then they screw a steel insert in wich makes it back to m4. (Y) .I had my thread in my frame helicoiled it didn`t cost a penny!Takes 2 mins aswell!

ah :rolleyes: cheers :)

• 10 months later...

The M4 stripped thread is drilled out to 4.2MM (tolerance 4.152-4.292mm) and then tapped with the correct wire insert tap, then the insert is wound in making sure it is installed with 1/2 a thread pitch either end if it is too long cut the oppersite end from the installation tang and make sure there are no burrs. When positioned correctly break the installation tang off either with tang break tool or long nose pliers.

Do not use thread lock. The thread is ready to accept the m4 bolt etc.

look at wti fasteners ltd website.