Three Peaks Challenge

Extreme_biker0

Like the title hints, I will be attempting the UK three peaks challenge on the 19th+20th May. I just wondered if any of you lot had done it, and weather or not you had found it hard?

For anyone who doesn't know, the three peaks challenge involves climbing the highest peak in England, Scotland, and Wales in any order in a single 24 hour period. The names of the peaks are Ben Nevis (Scotland), ScaFell Pike (England) and Snowdon (Wales).

My expectation is that the hardest thing about it will be the lack of sleep, rather than the physical challenge of walking the hills. I say this because I am quite physically fit and have done some walking before, but also because we are not employing a designated driver (we will be sharing the driving between the two of us (third person isn't insured), all of us climbing the peaks). :ermm:

Correct me if i'm wrong! (Y)

my dad has done it three or four times i think, he does walking/hiking as his hobby so he's quite good i guess. However the last time he did it he was 53 or 56 i think (he's 58 now). Everytime he comes backs he always says it was harder and that he won't do it again, but i think he's planning on doing another one soon.

One thing he did say was that he sees people less than half his age falling by the wayside, so perhaps it is a lot harder than it seems.

However, if you are even only slightly fit i think you'll be fine, He never said it was impossibly hard or anything.

good luck.

Like i say the driver thing is my biggest worry. I know the weather on Nevis can be pretty bad this time of year, that's what I've read. But how bad are we talking??? Nobody seems to explain this, just say that it's worse than it is in summer, duh! ^_^

Reason for doing it now, is, quite frankly, because me and a couple mates are all off work and need something to do. Could get pissed around town like we always do, but we wan't to do something different. Don't get me wrong though, just becuase we decided to do it in the pub the other night, it doesn't mean we're not taking it seriously, and we're all quite experienced in the outdoors.

no:1

no:2

2 places to look before you set off.

the weather on Nevis from top to bottom can vary by as much as 15ºc so you may strart of in shorts and be wearing thermals by the time you get to the top. The last time i did it was in the month of July and there was snow on the top! honest! May's a funny time of year and the weather can be anything from the weather like today to snow not many years ago. mountains even in good weather can be bad, be careful dude. last week at the scottish six day the had awful weather while we were basking in sunshine :P .

some friends of mine did it last year in the summer and they didn't have a driver either, they did it in 27 hours (they were well p'd off) they're gonna try again next year and take a driver ;)

good luck

let us know how you get on (Y)