Video Software

T.McMillan

I use Adobe Premier Pro 1.5, and its got everything you could need to make trials videos and more. Most people use some form of Premier, whether it be elements, 6.5, pro 1.5, pro 2.0 etc they are all good. (Y)

Some of the better video makers on here use pro software such as Final Cut Pro (For Mac) and I think a couple of people said they have Avid software, which is what a lot of Hollywood editors use I believe. :)

er, there's Avid and then theres proper Avid. They aren't the same thing at all and you cant afford proper Avid.

There's a free(ish) version of Avid which on first impressions looks pretty good to me. Cant remember the url but just google for Avid DV or something

What's wrong with movie maker ? It imports and exports and has a timeline unless your adding silly amounts of effects. But yeah adobe is great , final cut pro is ace :) but like a bike its more the rider input that matters.

Yeah I second avid but FCP is pretty much industry standart that an catalyst to an extent.

I believe Final Cut Pro is really good in the respect that the audio side is much more powerdul than that of adobe.

However, for home use and compatibility (you probably don't have a mac?) and the fact that it can be used for basic movies as well as more advanced work Adobe Premier is really your best option.

When (if) I get to Bournemouth I'm gonna have to learn to use Final Cut Pro though unfortunately.. So i guess I better invest in a mac and get used to it!!

Hope that helps.

er, there's Avid and then theres proper Avid. They aren't the same thing at all and you cant afford proper Avid.

There's a free(ish) version of Avid which on first impressions looks pretty good to me. Cant remember the url but just google for Avid DV or something

Yeah there is Avid Liquid 7 (the newest semi-pro version) which retails at £360, then there are the pro versions which Im guessing are VERY expensive. There are also the Sony Vegas packages, which get good reviews.

But realistically for trials videos even movie maker is adequate. All you need are basic effects, transitions and the ability to capture/import/export video clips (which is what all editing programs do!). People have made very nice videos on movie maker, its mainly the riding, filming and creativity that determine how good a bike video is.

Yeah there is Avid Liquid 7 (the newest semi-pro version) which retails at £360, then there are the pro versions which Im guessing are VERY expensive. There are also the Sony Vegas packages, which get good reviews.

But realistically for trials videos even movie maker is adequate. All you need are basic effects, transitions and the ability to capture/import/export video clips (which is what all editing programs do!). People have made very nice videos on movie maker, its mainly the riding, filming and creativity that determine how good a bike video is.

Avid express pro or media software will cost about £3,760 plus hardware and software add ons you would need to get full use from the software and a extremly powerful PC as I have a friend who uses this software at work. Avid liquid 7 is a fantastic piece of kit for the money.....

As you have said Windows movie maker is more then suitable, it has basic transitions and effects and is simple and incredibly easy to use, however the WMV file can sometimes be a pain on some computers, although can easily be converted to MPEG. A lot of people do use Adobe premiere of some sort and it has more then enough needed to create a trials video and again, is simple to use.

Dan.

Hey guys,

A little while ago I started messing around with editing. I started with premiere pro that someone gave me a copy of. It worked fine for everything that I would ever do. Then I bought a Mac, and youcan't use the software, so I acquired final cut pro. THe only thing that I dont like about it is, you can't use mp3 songs in it. You need to convert them to aicc or aifc or something like that. Anyways Mac software is so much easier to use than any windows software. If anyone has any questions about Mac stuff let me know, I'm pretty sure I can help with most.

For all the Mac users I can let you know where to get FCP for free.