Headset Problems

bikerider

Whenever I go for hooks or give it some welly, my headset keeps going tight. It doesn't feel like I've overtightened it though. If I bang the front end of the bike up and down a couple of times, everything returns to normal :S

It's an FSA, so is this ok for it to be doing it? Should I just put up and shut up?

thanks in advance

Dan

Edited by bikerider

Is the headset a sealed bearing style?

Is it a retainer bearing style?

If it is a retainer style, you may have one of the bearings upside down.

If it is sealed, you may have a crack somewhere. IF you pull your headset apart and check your race, and it moves around on the fork, that could be the problem.

Maybe the fork steer tube is slightly bent.

Maybe your stem bolts are not tight enough?

Try all of those things and let us know if any one of those worked. That will help narrow things down.

Is the headset a sealed bearing style?

Is it a retainer bearing style?

If it is a retainer style, you may have one of the bearings upside down.

If it is sealed, you may have a crack somewhere. IF you pull your headset apart and check your race, and it moves around on the fork, that could be the problem.

Maybe the fork steer tube is slightly bent.

Maybe your stem bolts are not tight enough?

Try all of those things and let us know if any one of those worked. That will help narrow things down.

How is this guy not validated?!

:huh:

Thanks for the help. Did all of the above. Couldn't find any cracks or anything, so I reassembled with a bit of copper-slip and tightened everything sensibly. Appears better.

Now I've got to try and solve my creaky cranks :blink:

Bit o' grease on the tapers?

At a wild guess...

my headset has a slight wobble even though i have tightened it? any way of resulving this problem. Although im not sure if it is the headset? I think it maybe the bads moving in the calipers. Does this happen?

To check if the headset is ok, I was always told to put the front wheel up against something like a wall or solid object, and then rock the bike.

I've already done grease on tapers, threadlocked all bolts on the spider (one is slightly knackered and I think it may be this needs replacing) and wound the lockring up as tight as fook. I put loads of loctite on the BB last time I had it out and now it's really solid in there. I'm wondering whether the bb has gone 'dry' and just needs taking out and re-inserting with a bit of grease?

hi i had this problem with my fsa first of all it started going tight then it siezed up completely so what i did was take the whole headset apart ant let it soak in a bowl of wd40 it was a bit of a waste of oil but it worked if that is not the problem try taking it apart and carefully putting it back together making sure everything is where it should be and notjing is missing and if that does not work throw the whole lot in the bin hope this has helped brendan (Y)

i had the same problem with about four fsa headsets, i got bored with putting up with it so i replaced it with a cane creek s2, havnt had a problem since ;) you could try a headlock bolt aswell, they help with dodgy headsets.