Riding Ability, “ Flow” And Stuff.

Keniii...

I have recently been watching some beginner rider’s videos and then comparing how they ride to the likes of Benito Ross, CLS or really anyone who can ride to a high level.

The main thing I noticed is the movement of the rider’s body. When riders first start doing trials they seem to be very tense and seem to find it hard to do Tricks competently and successfully. However, with a more experienced rider the body has a lot more flow to it and the rider seems to be much more laid back on the bike... which ultimately ends up in bigger and smoother riding. I figured this would be down to the fact that the riders are not familiar with the moves and the riders body has not go the required muscle structure for a competent riding ability but I wondered if it was anything to do with what the rider is thinking about. When riders first start out they are not sure of what they're able to do and will be scared about trying things, I guess this shows in their riding ... helping them look more tense and rigid. But after a while the confidence grows and the rider seems to be able to ride more confidently, resulting in a more relaxed posture and movement

Take a look at these two clips and see the difference between a newer rider and a more experienced rider.

Clip 1 Clip 2

What I was wondering is exactly how this change from rigid to relaxed happens and is there a way to understand why it happens, so that people could improve their riding ability easier. I think that it would help a lot of new riders improve if they all knew for what helps you improve to becoming a better rider.

And if there’s anything else that I might not have thought of then let us know... it could help a lot of people.

I believe that "flow" comes with experience, and confidence. As you correctly said when riders first start out they seem very rigid, this is because they learn the move first, then after attempt to make it smoother and more flowing.

I myself find that when i first learn a move on an object, be it a wall or whatever i concentrate on getting the move right so much so that i don't think about making it look good, i attempt to nail the move over and over again and i find i gradually become smoother as i repeat it.

I think the key as always unless you are generally a very confident person with a lot of guts is too just practice, i know everyone says it but it really is the key.

Dan

p.s why isn't this lad validated?!

I can't really see any point your trying to make.

It's obvious why begingers seem more ridged etc becuase they arn't used to the techniques yet. It kinda goes without saying.

I really think you should be validated, youve done 2 great posts and youve only just joined!

you really should (Y):)B):lol:;):shifty::D:P:)

well you shouldnt, have you not read the validation sticky thread that mentions new members should not post silly amounts of smiley faces after posts if they wish to get validated.