1st Bike!

piperpa28

Hello all again, My topic descriptions are better now, sorry about my other posts, I didn't realize, but anyways people.........I will be getting my Onza t-bird frame, Bashplate and Headset very soon!(at last lol) but hey, I was just wondering what my next step should be, such as, what part should I invest in and go out to buy next? Shall I always go for 2nd hand parts rather than buy brand new parts to start with? Last question When I go to buy some wheels, Shall i go for drilled rims or not, considering it will be my first bike!

Thanks for you help and time taken to read my post!

Speak soon! :D(Y)

well now that you have your frame, headset and bashplate. You should now look at a bottom bracket and forks, bar and stem.

I would recommend a fsa platinum pro dh bottom bracket, Also echo lite forks and zoo bars and echo team stem. All can be purchased from tartybikes apart from the bottombracket but i am sure chain reaction cycles sell the bottom bracket.

As for drilled rims, it is you rchoice on if you want a light bike or a strong bike.

Strong bike - no

light bike - yes.

Dan.

Although on mod rims I don't think them being drilled would take much strength away would it?

It depends on the rim really, i have noticed the difference between strength's when i have ran drilled and none drilled. Like with the ronnie rim it only has very small holes but with a try-all rim and echo 2006 they ahve rather large holes.

So it depends really.

Dan.

Ok well thanks, but I have slight problem, I am trying to build this bike up using minimimilst amount of money, fo example, I got my frame, headset, and bashplate for £35posted! So Is buying forks, bottom bracket, stem and bars second hand a good idea? because i know the price reductions are huge compared to buying them brand new!! :angry:lol! Also if I can afford I am hoping to buy a front and back wheel with drilled rims because I think they look cool, plus a slight weight reduction! (Y)

Thanks for hell people - keep the coments coming!

Edited by piperpa28

It depends on the rim really, i have noticed the difference between strength's when i have ran drilled and none drilled. Like with the ronnie rim it only has very small holes but with a try-all rim and echo 2006 they ahve rather large holes.

So it depends really.

Dan.

You can't compare 2 different rims based on hole size :S

The Ronnie's are 38mm wide, the Koxx rims are 47mm and the '06 Echo rim 48mm.

If you drilled a hole as big as found in the Echo rim in the Ronnie, it'd lose waaay too much material due to the smaller size.

Back on topic:

I've never had problems with drilled rims, but the weight loss is minimal and sometimes you can find cheaper, un drilled rims.

So either or really, you won't notice the extra weight of an undrilled, but the drilled are barely weaker.

Maybe I'm wrong, but if you have drilled rims don't you have to use disc brakes?

IMO on your first bike I would not go for disc brakes due to the chances of bending the rotors - rim brakes are more out of the way.

I would love to have a front disc on my bike but I know I would break the rotor (N)

Maybe I'm wrong, but if you have drilled rims don't you have to use disc brakes?

IMO on your first bike I would not go for disc brakes due to the chances of bending the rotors - rim brakes are more out of the way.

I would love to have a front disc on my bike but I know I would break the rotor (N)

Thats is only if you have drilled sidewalls and we are on about the base of the rim. (Y)

Dan.

Nope, unless you're thinking about the Onza rims which have a drilled sidewall.

If they're just drilled on the top surface (between spokes) then you can use whatever brake you like.