Welding Gussets To An Alu Frame...

worlez

I bought a rewelded Toxsin Frame1 yesterday for a pretty decent price. The guy who owned it before me had cracked across the downtube, just below the gusset, after practising hooks all day, so had it rewelded. The weld looks pretty good (altho its almost halfway across the lower half of the tube! :S ) but what I'm wondering is what peoples thoughts are on taking the frame to a welders and getting a bunch of gussets or plates welded on around the headtube, stays, bb etc. All the major stress points basically, just to beef the thing up.

Thoughts?

Cheers

Al

Problem with a frame like that is that different areas of the frame will be designed to take more stress etc. So if you whack a gusset in one place, it might strenghten that area up but then transfer a greater force onto a weaker part of the frame making it crack somewhere else.....

Also, if you get it rewelded, make sure you send it away for heat treating again, welding alloy seriously weakens it

mike

The weight isn't too much of an issue - I'd sooner trade weight for strength.

Lets say I dont add any gussets, but I do send it off for heat-treatment - will this return the original strength of the frame?

How much is this likely to cost?

Cheers

Al

If its been rewelded properly and you then get it heat treated properly i cant see any reason why it wont be as strong as it was new...Depending on the crack though an engineer might suggest that you have a small plate or gusset as you call it put over it to stop the original crack spreading any further. Your best bet is too have a look through the yellow pages for a good engineer, theyl be able to have a look and tell you whats the best plan of action.

Im not really sure on price for heattreating it as ive only got experience with large batches been done at once, it wouldnt be too expensive i dont think though.

mike