Ipod Rip

Dan Clark

I'm looking for a way to rip all my music off my ipod onto my computer.

Before you all say "Ipod Rip", I want something that saves the file names as something recognizable, not 4572.mp3, 5672.mp3, 8183.mp3 etc.

If this is impossible, is there a program that automatically renames music files after the ID tags?

What i would do is the ipod rip, put all the tracks on itunes in a playlist and burn them onto a cd/dvd then delete the "rip" versions and rip the tracks of the cd/dvd and they should be and named as there tracks.

If you have the music on another computer and are trying to transfer it using the iPod then I can help.

If not you can still try this way or the second way I say.

First way is to plug the iPod into the computer that you are taking the music off of.

Open itunes, at the bottom of the screen there should be an icon of an iPod, click on it.

This will open a new screen with a couple of choices, one of them will be called "enable disk use" click on it/ check box.

Once this is done find your iTunes music folder in your hard drive and copy it onto the iPod, not updating it but copying. If you have a mac then it's as easy as click and drag the file to the iPod icon on the desktop, if pc then I am not sure if that will work the same.

Then plug the iPod into the new computer and open the iPod image on the desktop and their should be a few things like notes, contacts, and in the mix should be your iTunes music folder, click and drag it to the iTunes library, this will copy it to the hard drive of the computer.

Second way is, enable the disk use the same way as above.

This allows you to add songs to the iPod one at a time at will.

The idea is you may or may not be able to do the oppsite, meaning drag songs off the iPod to the computer.

Haven't tried that ever, good luck.

The way I learned to do this was looking on apple.com and searching "transfer music from old computer to new", have you searched that yet.

Also, I also have seen on some iPod modders websites that they have written a plug-in or program that is downloadable to do what you are trying to do, though I don't have any idea where it is anymore it was like 3 years ago.

Matt.

Thats sort of what I'm getting nearer, I guess, with the last bit.

Basically, I have all my music on another computer, I know how to use my ipod as a disk drive etc but thats not what I want.

If all else fails I'll do that to transfer my music, but my music folder on the other computer is so amazingly unorganized I'd prefer to rip all the music I have on my ipod that way it'll be organized/easier to organize.

I'll try find something on google.