Heatsink Pads

liam_thornton

hey i have not used any heatsink pads yet but i have some on order, i have however just been reading previous posts on the heatsink pads and all the comments seem to be good, the CNCed backings are supposed to save you money in the long run because you can get refill pads for them but i am sure i read somewhere that somebody had a problem and snapped one of the 4 metal clips on the CNCed backings which connects to the magura caliper... sorry my post is not very helpful.

Thanks Will

P.S it is the> £32 Coust pads in HHeatsinkCNCed Magura Backings

and i would of thought they would have been worth the money :D

Sorry and thanks

EDIT: sorry not sure on how long they will last either but i think they are a harder type of block so would be better with a grind?

but if they are soft i think probably better with a normal rim, sorry and correct me if i am wrong please, Will

Edited by will17will17

somebody had a problem and snapped one of the 4 metal clips on the CNCed backings which connects to the magura caliper

Hi there!

I saw this post on TF too about prongs breaking in one example. You don't need to worry about this - riders have had prongs snap on magura slaves with plastic pads before my pads were even available. It's a very rare failure.

The prongs are there to take the braking forces which act on the pad and make sure the slave piston doesn't take them.

Steve

ive had red pads on CNC backings and are AMAZING. i wont change to any pad.

when i first got them they had plenty off meat on them but due to my frame and hub the pads would touch the rim even when i had the brake set out the furthest. so i took an angle grinder to the pad (sorry heatsink, i really didnt want to :( ) and shaved half of the pad off. now after 1 month, they have still got plenty of life left in them even though i shaved nearly more then half the pad off!

best of all, the refills only cost £8!!!

JK

Edited by J-KAY

kool LI, here is a link which has loads and loads of stuff about heatsinks etc;

http://www.trials-forum.co.uk/forum/index....e=heatsink+pads

people say that they are good and the metal backings give a much stiffer feel to the brake.. plus they could be cheaper in the long run due to the refill being fairly cheap...... l8rs li!!

p.s i would if i was you (gladly i am not :lol: ) i would get the plazmatics crm's from tarty bikes man, on the front and back. i would say get the zoo's but i dont think many places will be selling them anymore because they are not being made no more (N) !!!!!!!

hope this helps you liam >_<>_<

i am running a onza hog rim at the moment...but i will be upgrading to a echo or a tryal

no tar (N)

not sure weather to get a grind or not(light or medium) :S

thanks (Y)

ive had red pads on CNC backings and are AMAZING. i wont change to any pad.

when i first got them they had plenty off meat on them but due to my frame and hub the pads would touch the rim even when i had the brake set out the furthest. so i took an angle grinder to the pad (sorry heatsink, i really didnt want to ) and shaved half of the pad off. now after 1 month, they have still got plenty of life left in them even though i shaved nearly more then half the pad off!

best of all, the refills only cost £8!!!

how much are the refills for the green pads(...or are red the same..)

and how and where do i get them refilled

thanks (Y)(Y)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

sorry i f the above confused you but the middle paragragh was by same one else(not me)

sorry (Y)

Best of all, the refills only cost £8!!!

how much are the refills for the green pads(...or are red the same..)

and how and where do i get them refilled

thanks (Y)(Y)

Hi,

I hope that the answers to most of your questions are on the pads page of my website. There's an advert for it that appears on TF every so often :)

You can read about the differences between the pad colours on there rather than me waffling on about it here!

To remove pads from backings I used to just boil them in water for 5 mins to weaken the glue. Then I tear the pads out with my teeth :o . Recently riders have suggested putting plastic backed pads in the oven at around 150 deg C for 5 mins. I've yet to try this!

I've overdue putting some photos up on my site showing some tips on removing Magura pads from plastic backings and fitting the pads/refills into aluminium backings.

For now here's a quick guide for fitting pads into Heatsink Aluminium Magura or Vee backings:

1. Check the pad fits ok into the backing. Using a vice is easiest to save your fingers from being tired out! Start by pushing one end in and then the other, followed by the middle. If the pad doesn't go in properly then carefully trim away the area with a sharp knife. Take your time and do small trims at a time!

2. If the pad fits nicely then it's ready for glueing. Apply superglue to inside of backing and the top face. Apply glue to pad. Don't go crazy on the glue so that you don't get much squeezed out when you push them together

3. Quickly push the pad into the backing using the method in #1. Have some kitchen roll to hand to catch any superglue dribbles. I usually squeeze the pad all the way in nice and tightly to be sure, before backing of the vice a tad. Then I pop the pad out quickly so I can turn it over and catch stray glue before returning it to the vice so it's held whilst the glue sets enough (a matter of 30 secs minimum, and a few minutes is usually a good idea)

Having a vice makes the job very quick, and there are a few brands of supermarket superglue which are a good choice. I will get more thorough info up on my site when I have a free moment!

Steve

at the end of they day wear on pads varies to how harsh the grind and different for each rider as specifically some ride locking and rolling breaks where as some e.g. when pedal kicking will run their rim through their brakes with the breaks still partially depressed. I have received my coust pads on cnc backing recently and they are amazing on a smooth anodized rim but as they wear down i well get a grind.

I have a friend with a grind who is running them on plastic and with a reasonable grind and they have worn quite quick although has been riding a lot in recent weeks.

I would specifically say these are the best pads i have ever used as long as set up correctly.

Very impressed :-D

lol thanks steve

AHEM

hear there is a heatsink mod riding about looking rather nice with coust pads and a very nice rotor :-P

lol

:-

Definitely worth the money! Mine have lasted me a long time so far, been riding mostly everyday since i've had them and I never ride for less than 2hrs. I got them in August. I haven't noticed hardly any wear.

They work awesome in the wet and dry. The sound they make when used on a grind is deafening, i love it! I'll get some more refills when these go but I think they will last quite awhile yet!

I snapped my piston before my prongs, the brake still worked just as good although the pad was wobbling in every direction haha. Then about 10mins later 2 of my prongs snapped.

I think it was due to the caliper being well over a year old.

These pads gave me a helluva lot more confidence in my riding. I recommend buying some, as these have been my longest lasting pad so far!