To Grind Or Not To Grind

gaza

I just got some new echo rims in red ordered and there gunna look sweet but iv got some new echo HS33 pads n they r designed for grinded rims but i dont wanna grind mi rim cos i dont wanna bugger it up and it wont look as nice even though the performance would be better. mi m8 says i should grind. what do u guys think i should do like. :blink:

well performance wise you are going to have alot better brake what will also work in the wet but the downside of things is that the pads will wear alot quicker especially the echo reds so if you are going to grind your rim make sure you do a realy smooth grind unless you want your pads to last just short of a week.

Will

well performance wise you are going to have alot better brake what will also work in the wet but the downside of things is that the pads will wear alot quicker especially the echo reds so if you are going to grind your rim make sure you do a realy smooth grind unless you want your pads to last just short of a week.

Will

ah rite cheers ill give it a try, is there any tips you know of for the light grind or just do it by eye.

Dont do it whatever you do please you will ruin a really nice coloured rim i suggest you go for the heatsink pads which are designed for smooth rims.

Cheers Andy

lol ok where can i get em from i only know of tarty bikes but yeah it sounds like the best idea then. i give the other pads to mi m8.

yeah give them to your mate for free (Y) im sure he would greatly appreciate it, and would be eternally greatful

Here is a link to the Heatsink Brake pads page, i got the Heatsink Blues last time, and they seemed to wear down really quickly, and i didnt think they were that amazing on a smooth rim, but then i did grind it, and the brake went amazing, till i lost them due to wear.... If you getting the Heatsink pads, go for the limited Edition ones, they look pretty sweet, and are limited edition. (the snowy ones)

Heatsink Pads

P.s You want me to order them for you? Could do it when you come round to mine when everything else arrives, but you have to do it quick, ready for our ride to Shipley on sat.

Al (gaza's mate) (Y)

Edited by Alastair

which echo rim have you bought the 2006 one or the 2007 one. if its the 2006 i would run a smooth rim because they arn't a very strong rim and many people have detroyed them. the 2007 ones are fairly strong i believe and i would say go for a grind. i would do what ever you like the best because you will get alot of mixed responses bought what they use pad wise and smooth or ground rim. if your not keen on puttin a grind on then i would say dont or get someone else to do it.

ah rite cheers ill give it a try, is there any tips you know of for the light grind or just do it by eye.

but the ginder at less of a angle shown in the little pic i done flat to the rim and when you stroke the grinder accross the rim make sure you are doing it in a slow motion and have the grinder speed set to maximum

IPB Image

Will

the colour will come off the rims if you grind or not, it'll just take a while longer without it. Just grind it fella, muchly better brake if you do do.

I told you that, just stick with your echos... i thought you were going for a colour scheme (Red) and if you get white or blue its going to kind of mess it up abit, the white will definetley stand out, but we'll see. I rung Tarty and changed the Sprocket to 18T and told them to deliver it behind the house. I bet you cant wait!

Al

I told you that, just stick with your echos... i thought you were going for a colour scheme (Red) and if you get white or blue its going to kind of mess it up abit, the white will definetley stand out, but we'll see. I rung Tarty and changed the Sprocket to 18T and told them to deliver it behind the house. I bet you cant wait!

Al

NO IT WILL NOT

the colour on the echo sidewalls will not come off. try all will but echo wont. echo have a much thicker anodise to it.

my friend has use a black echo rim on the rear for a long while now and still there is no sign of silver coming through.

LOOK HERE

Well , when i got my tpro for a long while i didn't want to grind my rim because i was worried it would weaken the rim. But ,my mates were grinding there rims and noticed there braking power being immense..

I decided to go for it! At first i just turned the grinded on and then off and stroked it accros the rim, this made it a lightish grind, i then tryed a smigde of tar on it and its even better! i would reccomend it!

Cheers guys ill give the pads a try without the grind n see how things go and if they dont work ill get some heatsink pads the ltd ones n if that dont work ill have tears coming down my eyes when i grind off the lovely colour of the echo 2007 rims. :( but stil wat the hell tis al gunna be gd in the end especially with the hope pro 2 hub im getting. whoop whoop.

Also any one know how long the life of the hope pro 2 hub is without grease cos i might try it if it aint loud enough.

P.S. cheers al for getting me all bike stuff n all n all the help with spraying our frame. u can get the free tee shirt from tarty bikes, lol.

Free T-shirt for me!!!! The colour is going to run off anyway Gaz, it will wear it down, then it will look sketchy, look at the Koxx rims, thats what i will look like. Also the colour is going to run off your front rim aswell, cos the pads will rub that off aswell. Unless you get a Disc. I will be even more jealous if you do.

Al