Matt

matt!

Alright, I've just got a new rim from tartybikes (awesome service) and im using some plazmatic crm's and my brake to be honest is totally crap it has no sound no bite and hardly any hold which isnt really a good thing in trials. I know if i grind it my brake would be good but then id be back to denting rims (the reason i got this one in the first place) if it helps its a new style fluro rim, ive checked the brake pad thread but couldnt find anything. Anyone got any suggestions on what pads to try? i would go for zoo but theyre not made anymore!. Thanks in advance

Edited by matt!

Grinding your rim does not have alot of difference on how easy your rim dents, its all down to the weight and smoothness of the rider. If you go and run for example 12psi you are obviously going to dent your rim easily, But when you run hard pressure it will make it harder to dent your rim but also puts stress on your spokes and wheelbuild.

As for the pads, Zoo pads are still avaliable at trials uk For £15 posted.

Then again if you see sense and decide to grind your rim, either go for koxx bloxx greens or plazmatic crm's.

Oh and by the way, koxx try-all rims are not strong.

Dan.

I'm sorry, but if you can't get CRMs good on a nonground rim, you're setting them up wrong.

CRMs on a clean D521 was the best brake i ever had. (Till it got wet/dusty anyways :P )

Clean the rim with degreaser, set them up properly, and you should have awesomely loud, grabby, lockable brakes.

I'm sorry, but if you can't get CRMs good on a nonground rim, you're setting them up wrong.

CRMs on a clean D521 was the best brake i ever had. (Till it got wet/dusty anyways :P )

Clean the rim with degreaser, set them up properly, and you should have awesomely loud, grabby, lockable brakes.

They are setup really well, and theres nothing wrong with the rim as its brand new, try-all's are relatively soft grade alu thats why the plazmatics arent too good the D521 are a really good grade thats why you had a good brake :) and it is relevant on smooth rims as much as it is on ground, Danny Kearns grinding significantly weakens the rim and since i like to run a set pressure as any normal person would it will make a difference :) Thanks lots for all the help and suggestions so far but my mind is set, im not grinding my rim and i do need a change of pads, echo reds are looking good or i may try heatsink snowys.

Grinding your rim does not have alot of difference on how easy your rim dents, its all down to the weight and smoothness of the rider. If you go and run for example 12psi you are obviously going to dent your rim easily, But when you run hard pressure it will make it harder to dent your rim but also puts stress on your spokes and wheelbuild.

As for the pads, Zoo pads are still avaliable at trials uk For £15 posted.

Then again if you see sense and decide to grind your rim, either go for koxx bloxx greens or plazmatic crm's.

Oh and by the way, koxx try-all rims are not strong.

Dan.

Yes,

Yes they are strong.

Try-all's are relatively soft grade alu thats why the plazmatics arent too good the D521 are a really good grade thats why you had a good brake :) and it is relevant on smooth rims as much as it is on ground,

Explain to me why this is true.

Soft alu used in the new generation of wide rims is not good for grinds because they become smooth soo soon as the pad wears away the aofter material quicker.

This means you can't get as sharp-a-grind, and you have to grind more often. This is why soft rims are bad for grinding.

Now explain to me why soft alu rims make a worse brake than a hard alu rim when they're both smooth.

Ill answer! to be totally honest with you, im not 100% sure, but it is 100% true. I can easily prove it and im sure someone like tarty would be able to explain why, ill ask him about it actually. Dont you ever wonder why people hardly ever use soft rims like try-all smooth.

Edited by Gaz M

crms on a smooth Hog rim (which is the same as a try-all) make a great brake so it's all bollocks.

set up the brake properly clean everything and it'll work fine

That ridiculous. I could say crms on a smooth ronnie are good and a hog is the same material (Which it is and ive even been told by the man himself) And since theyre good on a hog theyll be good on try-all cause thats the same too (Which it most definately is NOT) Just because they look the same doesnt make them the same rim (Y)