Disc Brake Help

Ra964

i have a front shimano xt hidraulic discbrake with the 4 piston caliper and also have a rear luise 2000 or something like that with a 2 piston caliper and i heard that in trials it`s better to have 2 pistons because u have more power with less modulation, i don`t need to manual or anithing but i like to modulate my swaps and transfers.....anyways wich one would work better 2 pistons or 4 ??

i can`t try both of them because i don`t have pads =)) and now i have no money to buy pads for both calipers, so i will have to chose :)

edit :sorry for the dumb poll i`m not used to invizion board :( and i can`t edit-it

Well I can tell you now not to even think about bothering with the 4-pot XT for trials, they just dent hold you're wheel still, there really really nice breaks and stop you amazingly from speed with loads of power and feel, but there wank for trials, they just don't hold, even to the extent that my mate has trouble just doing ramp tricks on his jump bike with one on the back!

Just use the Luise, there quality for trials :D

i have an xt full brake and a luise caliper and i was thinking that i should use the luise caliper with the xt lever, so i`l have a try-all replica :- (the lever looks like the hope one and the caliper like the try-all one :-)

Should work fine, go for it (Y)

They both use mineral oil, and the piston size isn't very different between the shimano and magura. If there's gunna be any difference then its gunna be the right way I expect (smaller master cylinder than usual)

Edit: let me know how it goes, interested to find out.

Edited by Dont you Just Hate it When...

found out something it`s the old luise model with one fixed pot and only one working pot will it work the same or it will have to much power and it will be like a on/off brake, another tought would be to get an adapter for the xt caliper and go for a 203 disc

i think i`l use the xt with a masive rotor because the luise is only one pot and the xt has a very small cilinder it will have a huge force, and i think it will be like an on/off brake, and i already have a mechanic hayes mx2 that is an on/of brake

sorry, tried to edit poll but its disappeared :@ if you want it as a poll create a new topic :)

back onto the question, i'd suggest a 2 pot as 4 pots are designed to have lots of power, but with modulation and so don't have the bite us trials riders like. For intance th M4 i have on my jump bike has bundles of power, but very little bite, whereas my doere has not quite so much power but a nice amount of bite.

i'm running a hope m4 on the front of my stock and it seems nice, no where near as nice as my mates louise on his mod or my friends hope mono trial.

the m4 has loads of modulation but no as much bite. personally id go for the louise.