K800i Problems

Trials Boy

Hey all,

Yesturday i bought my new K800i :D but i've been having a few problems. First it was that i couldn't download the CD that came with it (PC Suite) because i havent got Service Pack 2, on the cover it says SP1 and 2 so i still downloaded it but it said they're maybe problems.

Anyway, this morning i connected it to the computer with the "file transfer mode" and it read it on the PC suite, but when i click on removable drive F in my computer it said "Please insert blah blah blah into drive F"

Does this mean i need a memory card? Because i havent got one.

Or any ideas how i can get my pics and videos on the pc?

Thanks for any help :ermm:

if its like my w810i which it should be then the other bit is if you have a memory card or not, not the internal memory. Like if you have a memory card it will say F: drive. But if not i think you do it through the program to get to the phone memory.

Edited by Spacemunkee

if its like my w810i which it should be then the other bit is if you have a memory card or not, not the internal memory. Like if you have a memory card it will say F: drive. But if not i think you do it through the program to get to the phone memory.

yeah but i cant see what to do here to view my pics and videos:

IPB Image

Any help? I've been trying for hours :(

This just came up

IPB Image

f**k the PC suite, uninstall it if you want. It's not necessary to transfer files to and from your phone. So while reading the rest of my post, forget that it exists.

When you first plug your phone into the PC via usb, the phone will ask you 'File transfer mode' or 'phone mode'. Select file transfer mode and wait for it to enter this mode (takes a few seconds).

Now, on your computer, go to 'My Computer' (you can get to this from the start menu). You should see 2 new drives appear. Yes, thats's 2; one for your memory card and one for the internal memory of the phone.

If you don't have a memory card then you will get an error trying to access the drive that is assigned to the memory card. Look around the 'My Computer' screen for the other drive.

Double click it and you're in.

if its like my w810i which it should be then...

It's not the same. Sony changed the way the phones communicate through the usb to be cross-platform compatible, hence why you don't need to install the pc suite/drivers with the k800.

Edited by Extreme_biker0

f**k the PC suite, uninstall it if you want. It's not necessary to transfer files to and from your phone. So while reading the rest of my post, forget that it exists.

When you first plug your phone into the PC via usb, the phone will ask you 'File transfer mode' or 'phone mode'. Select file transfer mode and wait for it to enter this mode (takes a few seconds).

Now, on your computer, go to 'My Computer' (you can get to this from the start menu). You should see 2 new drives appear. Yes, thats's 2; one for your memory card and one for the internal memory of the phone.

If you don't have a memory card then you will get an error trying to access the drive that is assigned to the memory card. Look around the 'My Computer' screen for the other drive.

Double click it and you're in.

I done all that and the phone is still on "Preparing for file transfer" then it came up in a little box saying "USB Device not recognised" i looked in my computer and its all the same... :(

Do i have to uninstall the suite? because i havent yet.

Thanks for the help. (Y)

I done all that and the phone is still on "Preparing for file transfer" then it came up in a little box saying "USB Device not recognised" i looked in my computer and its all the same... :(

Do i have to uninstall the suite? because i havent yet.

Thanks for the help. (Y)

No, it should work with the suite installed. I can't think right now what your problem might be...

But let me get this straight, it says 'USB device not recognised' but the F: drive appears as well? And there is definately no other drive that appears?

Edited by Extreme_biker0

Right.

I plugged the phone into the USB blah blah, and clicked on "Fire Transfer mode" then i heard the connection sound on the pc and it came up with "USB Device not recognised"

But the thing is, it doesnt come up with the last bit on the phone, it gets stuck on "Preparing for transfer"

And no, F or any other drive doesnt come up. It stays like it is when the phone isnt plugged in.

And no, F or any other drive doesnt come up. It stays like it is when the phone isnt plugged in.

That's not what you said in your first post. You said that 'removable drive f' appeared but when you click it it doesn't work and produces an error message.

If this is the case, I suspect that the first time round, it worked, but you didn't realise that 2 drives appeared rather than one. There is no reason why it wouldn't, plus your screen grab suggests it did. If you'd have clicked the other drive it would have worked.

However, since then you've messed about trying to get it to work and Windows has permenantly said that that device is not recognised and refuses to re-check it. This happens a lot, and could be a result of you plugging the phone in whilst in the middle of a mode-change.

The way around this is to

1. Plug the phone into a different USB port that it has *never* been plugged into before

or

2. Turn the computer off, UNPLUG IT FROM THE WALL for about 20 minutes (usb chips sometimes stay powered up, crazy i know, but true) and then reboot.

Good luck.

That's not what you said in your first post. You said that 'removable drive f' appeared but when you click it it doesn't work and produces an error message.

If this is the case, I suspect that the first time round, it worked, but you didn't realise that 2 drives appeared rather than one. There is no reason why it wouldn't, plus your screen grab suggests it did. If you'd have clicked the other drive it would have worked.

However, since then you've messed about trying to get it to work and Windows has permenantly said that that device is not recognised and refuses to re-check it. This happens a lot, and could be a result of you plugging the phone in whilst in the middle of a mode-change.

The way around this is to

1. Plug the phone into a different USB port that it has *never* been plugged into before

or

2. Turn the computer off, UNPLUG IT FROM THE WALL for about 20 minutes (usb chips sometimes stay powered up, crazy i know, but true) and then reboot.

Good luck.

How could two drives come up if i haven't got a Memory card?

I'll try it...

If you have a card reader or anything like that built into your computer, it will often come up as a few drives in Windows, even if there is no card in. For example, on my PC when you plug the card reader in (even with no card in), 4 removable drives appear (H:, I:, J:, K:). So it'll be something to do with that.

I'm sure your cd/dvd drive appears when there is no cd/dvd in :P

Mine doesn't on my Mac :rolleyes:

Yeah theres 69mb built in, it didnt come with one. I'll get one soon.

Whys that?

Well I'm using a k750i so this might be completely irrelevant, but to use the phones internal memory I have to use the PC Suite that came with the phone. To access the external 2gb memory card I have, thats when I go through the My Computer route and such...

Probably no help at all but I'm getting a K800i tomorrow so I'll give it a go with mine and if you still have problems, i'll run you through my process...

Well I'm using a k750i so this might be completely irrelevant, but to use the phones internal memory I have to use the PC Suite that came with the phone. To access the external 2gb memory card I have, thats when I go through the My Computer route and such...

Probably no help at all but I'm getting a K800i tomorrow so I'll give it a go with mine and if you still have problems, i'll run you through my process...

Well i also have a K750i with 512MB, sh*tty new Micro Sticks :angry:

But anyway, yeah with internal memory you have to do it through PC Suite ( Dont even know how to! :lol: ) and with a memory stick you use my computer = 1000000000x easier

So i think ill have to get a memory card before i start transferring pics. :)

Edited by Trials Boy

Well when I get mine, I'm gonna whack in my 2gb card that I use in my k750i and use that in it... If you want 2gb then i suggest ebay because I did and got mine for £35 including postage :D. I'll find you a link if you want?

Well when I get mine, I'm gonna whack in my 2gb card that I use in my k750i and use that in it... If you want 2gb then i suggest ebay because I did and got mine for £35 including postage :D. I'll find you a link if you want?

You might struggle there, as the k800i uses a diferent memory card than the k750i i think. The k800i uses a new type of sony memory card, called the M2 or something like that

mate theres a new memory card for the K800i.

Memory Stick Micro (M2) and the max you can get is 1GB, no more.

EDIT: Just like Boothy said...

Edited by Trials Boy