Jump Bike Upgrades, Now And In The Next Few Weeks

tank_rider

I've almost stopped riding trials now and have got into street/park/dirt jump/4X/northshore now riding my old get to uni bike which was made up from random bits i had in the garage. Now i'm riding it more and more i thought its time for it to get some nice new bits :)

First off, a new rear wheel and disc, sun sungletrack rim on hope xc hub, and a 203mm hayes hfx9 :)

IPB Image

next up is new forks and front wheel which are on their way, 05 maz dropoffs and sun singletrack on proII bolt through hub

Cheers for the comments guys,

It rides pretty damn well actually, i need to tweak the gearing or get a few gears to give me a better top speed on 4X runs as i'm spinning out after the first 15m at the moment and having to pump the rest of the course. It's really good on northshore, really nicely balanced with quick steering.

Ticcy, yeah it looks a bit ghetto at the moment but once the forks and wheels on it will look a hell of a lot better as it will be virtaully all white and black, will just need a new bar and stem then :)

CBproductions, as Tic said those are my current forks, the dropoffs are on their way, there 2001 Z4's with a coil upgrade by the way, certainly old school, but still running well having never been serviced!!

• 2 weeks later...

Watch those bars if they are Buzz Bars, they'll wait till your either on a road/jump/drop/busy place/something to seriously injure/embarres you then go bang, if they aint then ignore me =]

I have 3 sets of buzzbars, all on different bikes! i love em to bits, and never had a problem. one set is 5 years old, used to be on my mates jump bike, then his trials bike, then my jump bike, then on my comuter bike. still going strong.

Matt, Yep, its a bit of a throwback to when we were learning together in the station carpark! and did that demo at halfords lol.

They are indeed buzzbars. There one of the next things on my upgrade list, along with a stem with less rise, so don't worry they won't be being ridden for too much longer.

Phase 2 complete.

Now has new front wheel and forks fitted, 05 Maz dropoffs 130mm travel and a sun singletrack on Hope ProII bolt through hub. Rides really nicely now, the newer damping system in the forks is really noticeable and the whole thing rides a lot better now.

IPB Image

Front brake to go back on (deore hydro) with a 203 upgrade kit, and a new bar and stem already bought and ready to fit, race face diablos bars and easton vice stem. Should get that done this week hopefully.

• 1 month later...

Final stage (for the time being) is now finished.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Front Enduro 4 back on, with Race Face Diablos bars and an Easton Vice stem. Also fitted a roady casette and sram rocket shifter so have got 8 working gears and a new seatpost after the bolt snapped on the old Kore for the second time :S . Goes like an absolute rocket now, can't wait to get her back on the 4X track at chicksands and whip some ass. People get nice and embarrased when they get beat by a saracen lol :D

Now I've had to give up trials I've also bought a DH bike.

Scott High Octane (2003)

IPB Image

IPB Image

Gave it a thrashing down the black run at cannock and it rides like a dream. Soo easy to get some serious speed up and just floats over pretty much anything. Managed to get about 8ft distance and about 6ft vertical drop off the coffin drop at the end of the black run. Great fun!!

For full res versions of the pics see the bike pics section of my website.

that has to be the most beautifull saracen i have EVER seen, ive got one of those frames kicking around at home, might build it up as a jumper :)

Ben

The ride really nicely as jump bikes, 100-130mm travel forks suit it best. It's basically jump bike geometry anyway so it's pretty much as home ripping it down a 4X track. Even with some basic cheap components they ride really nicely. In it's previous form (before the upgrades) it rode pretty well for something that cost a maximum of £400 to put together (so long as you already had the frame). Just look for some old marzocchi forks and 521 on shitmano hubs and the rest you can pick up cheap, especially if you only want to build a singlespeed. It served getting me to uni and back for 2 years including bombing it down sets of stairs every day on the "fun" route home.