General Starting Out Motoring Questions

Nuke Bowel

Heyy all,

i know its frightening but in less than 6 months i will be learing to drive, i was thinking of taking the fast pass option.

Has any one done it on the forum or know people who have?

I just want to know if its worth it....

Also, i like the look of both the citroen saxo west coast and pegeout 306, both cars i would get in 1.4, and i would like to put a kit and alloys on.

I also have 2 k's worth of audio equipment my daddy has given me B)

Would i be able to insure one of theese, and how much for?

I was also wondering has any one on here jumped on there parents insurace, and how much did that cost?

Cause i was thinking of maybye getting my daddy to insure the car, then have me as a named driver?

Cheers Luke

right, i done the faast pass option, last week actually. Drove 6 hours monday, till thursday and had my test friday morning. Cost me 160 pounds per day

I got a 1.2 corsa,

Insurance quotes

Own - 1300

With daddy me as named - 600

With mummy me as named - 408.47

AS you can see, cheaper with mummy, all of those are fully comp btw,

right, i done the faast pass option, last week actually.

take it you passed then? Was it mind boggling or OK?

I took me a few months the "normal" way and passed second time. As for insurance it depends what your plans are. Ideally you want your own policy (yes its expensive) as soon as possible so you can earn your no claims bonus :) . Im on my mums insurance because Im going to uni next year so Ill start my own policy after I finish/drop out

how the hell did you get a quote of £1300 fully comp under your own name?? thats silly good.

I wouldnt bother with alloys and bodykit in your first year driving, they wont add to the car much, and will hike you insurance up massively- possibly to the point that no one will insure you.

right, i done the faast pass option, last week actually. Drove 6 hours monday, till thursday and had my test friday morning. Cost me 160 pounds per day

I got a 1.2 corsa,

Insurance quotes

Own - 1300

With daddy me as named - 600

With mummy me as named - 408.47

AS you can see, cheaper with mummy, all of those are fully comp btw,

Cheers buddy, yerr i think i will take the mummy option, who are you isured with if you dont mind me asking?

I wouldnt bother with alloys and bodykit in your first year driving, they wont add to the car much, and will hike you insurance up massively- possibly to the point that no one will insure you.

Yerrr i know what you mean dude, I will see what happens.

Defiantly want to chuck this audio in though.

yea theres not much point in doing your first car up cause your first car is the car you have to have fun in like umm rally driving and your more likiley to crash in your first year of driving unless your a safe driver

aha, yerrr true, bit of rally driving has got to be done :P

start your own personal no claims from the start of you driving, you will appreciate it alot more and you will respect your car alot more.

iv got 5 years no claims bonus, yes i still pay £1300.00 on a modified vehicle, but each year as i tax and MOT and insure my van, its all worth while as i know i have had to earn the £££ to pay for it.

i wouldnt worry about getting quotes go online and use sumit like "confused.com" get the prices off there, then pick up your local "vauxhall mag" or "perfomrance citroen" what ever it is, and ring a few companies out of the back of that. speaking to someone over the phone gets alot further than trying to get a quote off an internet robot.

you will find speaking to someone direct on the phone helps more as they can set the policy up to your personal needs etc etc.

its all trial and error dude.

Waynio..........................

with norwich union the pass plus halves your first year!

my quotes were £997 without pass plus, and then £458 with it. going up to just over £500 for me to pay monthly.

some insurers give a smaller reduction, but if you have a small engined car, and its your first year of driving, pass plus makes a MASSIVE difference to your premium

with norwich union the pass plus halves your first year!

my quotes were £997 without pass plus, and then £458 with it. going up to just over £500 for me to pay monthly.

some insurers give a smaller reduction, but if you have a small engined car, and its your first year of driving, pass plus makes a MASSIVE difference to your premium

Same happened with me. With Norwich Union my insurance went from around £1400 to just over £700 when I added pass plus.

Ring around insurance companies and see what discounts they do for pass plus.

So what exactly do you have to do for the pass plus test and how difficult is it? Also, how much does it cost?
Go out with a certified instructor for a total of 6 hours and they fill out an assesment sheet and ask you a few questions. I dont even think its possible to fail the pass plus.

They take you out motorway driving, country roads, night driving etc...

I just went out one Sunday with my instructor, in my lessons I had done a lot of night driving so she wasnt worried about that, we only spent 15 minutes on motorway before she decided I was confident with motorway driving, we just generally drove around for the rest of the day (The furthest away place I ended up from Salisbury was Waterlooville which is about 50 miles away)