Car Audio Help

Lee Cable

JTM, my system is as follows:

HU:

Sony, cant remember model number. Has 3x 5v preouts, one of which is dedicated mono controllable sub out. Is a higher end sony.

Amplifiers:

JBL GTO 75.4 (front and rear speakers)

Mutant 2 channel something (250w rms bridged at 4 ohms for sub)

Speakers:

Front: Infinity Reference Components, 17 CM. Tweeter in dash mount, where facotry speakers are (mk2 golf) main drivers in door pods.

Rear: JBL 6"x4" factory replacement coaxials (std rear placement, shelf side supports)

Sub: JBL GTO 10", 300W RMS. In bandpass enclosure.

Setup:

from what i remember, sub its set at 250hz cut off.

High pass on front speakers comes down to about 100hz

High pass on rears to about 200hz.

Having the reas does drag my soundstage back to some extent, but not enough to pull it behind my head. I feel it completes my soundstage, smoothing everything out. most things sound as if there infront/to the side, except voices which are definately in front.

Oh, and for reference, i managed this setup on £200 + 2 half decent bike wheels, some cranks, and some cable disk brakes.

Edited by nmt_oli

::snip::

...how much are you looking to spend Delusional?

Nothing at the moment ;) I've been looking about a bit for the future. I may get a few bits for/after christmas, but really I'm just looking to have an idea what I want to get when I actually have some money. It'll probably be as cheap as possible though, even bottom of the range stuff is going to be a bit of a stretch on student budgets!

At the moment I've got a set of JBL GTO527s in the rear panels (which have made all the difference from my standard, 15 year old, literally falling apart speakers) and a crappy Kenwood HU. Next on the list is a new HU, quite possibly the Alpine you recommended above. Then maybe some JBL comps for the front. If I can find somewhere to mount it where it's not going to get wet then maybe an amp after that, but that's a little way down the line yet!

Thought I may as well bump this instead of creating a new topic. I have a question. My car ( :D ) has got a Sony CDX-4160RDS stereo. It's pretty old, so I'm guessing the answer is probably no.

Here's the manual.

And here's a pic:

IPB Image

Anyway, can I wire up my ipod into the back of it somehow, or do I need to buy a new head uni?

If I do, can anyone recommend a decent one that's as cheap as possible (not terribly fussed about quality)? And is it pretty easy to fit with normal tools?

in the paper yesterday, was an offer at LIDL, £50 for a stereo thats plays mp3s, has aux in, usb in, and memory card reader(SD/MMC)

That's more like it. My dad has one from lidl and it seems ok. Looks pretty cheap (loads of silver plastic) but works well.

Anyway - Is THIS the one you meant? I can't see it mention aux in, unfortunately. But it might have it I guess.

you cant have a direct plug into that sony, unless you have a cd changer port. there are some good fm modulators on the market that are compatible with every headunit, and im not talking griffin itrips. but they are a wee expensive, as someone else said the sony gt100 has an aux in port and thats not bad at £80, on the sony gt210 at £99. ask me anything on fitting ipods or system installs, deal with them day in day out :lol:

Hmmm, didn't wanna spend that much. Any other options?

That's not actually a picture I took - The stereo's still in the car so I can't look at the back.

If you look on eBay you can get a Sony CDX-GT100 for about £60 including postage. Here's one I found - I think I bought my speakers from those guys and had no problems at all. You pay about a tenner extra to get the GT200 that will handle mp3 CDs as well, don't know how useful that would be for you. At £60 it's pretty good and I found generally positive reviews of them around about, so it's not going to sound too bad.