Working Out

Phil H

I work out a fair bit just like weights in my lounge in various positions/situps/pressups etc.

But could do with some advice: :)

Im 16 and apparently its not a good idea to work out everyday? I know muscles need time to rebuild themselves after a workout but does that mean working out everyday is worse than every other? :S

Help please :) Phil

It's not easy to get a straight answer as there's loads of different opinions on this. Some say you should have a damn good workout 3 or 4 times a week with a decent rest (typically a day) inbetween to let your muscle fibres repair themselves and grow. Others say just keep going for it.

Personally I think it's fine to work out every day unless you're really pushing yourself, in which case resting is paramount. For example, doing some situps/pushups every day won't do you any harm but maxing yourself out on the benchpress every day will strain you and lead to injury. Just be sensible about it mate.

The rule is: if you are working a muscle to failure then you should allow 24-48hrs rest between workouts on that muscle.

ie if you do lots of chest on a monday (bench press, press ups, flys) then you shouldnt work the chest again till at least wed.

But this goes out the window if you are doing endurance work. ie low weight an high reps. But you still should allow the muscles time to recover. You can easily over train muscles an they wont have repaired themselves by the time you work them again.

Therefore the rule comes about that you should only really train every other day. to give the muscles time to repair an recover.

Even doing sit-ups/press ups every day can be too much. If you go to muscle failure.

edit: thats the straightest answer any fitness instuctor/personal trainer will give you.

Edited by Badboy

The rule is: if you are working a muscle to failure then you should allow 24-48hrs rest between workouts on that muscle.

ie if you do lots of chest on a monday (bench press, press ups, flys) then you shouldnt work the chest again till at least wed.

But this goes out the window if you are doing endurance work. ie low weight an high reps. But you still should allow the muscles time to recover. You can easily over train muscles an they wont have repaired themselves by the time you work them again.

Therefore the rule comes about that you should only really train every other day. to give the muscles time to repair an recover.

Even doing sit-ups/press ups every day can be too much. If you go to muscle failure.

edit: thats the straightest answer any fitness instuctor/personal trainer will give you.

spot on what my tutor/pe teacher says, i dont think that you can go wrong with what "badboy" said.