Helmet's

Captain Scarlet

People want a helmet that looks good, is well ventilated and lightweight.

But obvious contendors like the E2 and xen are expensive, if helmets

were cheaper, alot more people would wear them...

Just a point of view... ^_^

Lewis :shifty:

Nice to see how many people do wear helmets lol.

Well a helmet could have saved my life much easier, in 2004 I fell went up a quarter on my jump bike, didn't make it to the top and fell back down again, then hitting my head hard against the pavement.

At the time, I didn't know that I had fractured my skull, and a blood clot was building up inside. There wasn't a mark on my head.

I went home, couldn't get to sleep, my parents found that one of my eyes was pointing the wrong way.

I got rushed to Great Ormond Street in London, to have the blood clot removed, doc said that another hour and I would have died.

But the thing is, I see people who only wear helmets when trying big gaps or moves, but an accident like mine could happen whilst doing anything on a bike, you could be manualling and fall off the back (I did it, this time I remembered my lid :P ), and even though I was wearing a helmet, I had a really bad headache for the rest of the day. Imagine if I wasn;t wearing one.

I was reading about a kid who had a similar injury to me, he was speeding down an alleyway on his bike, he came out onto what he thought would be an empty road, but a car passed in front of him, so he slammed on his brakes, went over the handle bars and went into the car head first.

You may be doing the most simplest of tricks, but any little slip could knock you on the floor and hit your head.

How about slipping from the bars or pedals and hitting your head on your handlebars?

I don't care about the comments that come my way from wearing a lid, its the right thing and I'm sticking by it.

Heres a quick picture of my head after my accident:

IPB Image

Thats 40 staples.

Edited by thutley

i put mine on soon as i step out the dorr to ride my bike ...no helmet no ride .....like someone said in the topic you can get a new helmet but not a new head ...i no some one who went under a car and if she had a helmet on she would of still been here ...but she chose not to ....so yes wear a helmet .....NO HELMET NO RIDE :angry:(Y) bennyb w.b

Cheers people im defo going to buy a helmet now. (Y)

Helmet are definately a good idea but yet I still don't wear mine very often. I'm not particularly proud of this. I do if I'm riding dirt or skatepark, but not very often for trials, unless I'm trying something intimidating or high-speed. I know it's still possible to hit your head just doing simple trials stuff, but to me it's not quite that one-sided.

There are times when wearing a helmet will save you, and times when it won't. Helmets don't make you invincible. You could argue that the extra confidence of a helmet can make you attempt something dangerous and get you hurt. But equally it's better to be wearing one if things do go wrong. It just comes down to whether you personally think it's worth the inconvenience/discomfort/looking silly/extra heat or whatever it is you find annoying about wearing one. I've fallen off hundreds of times and not managed to hit my head yet. I know it's still possible but I just don't feel compelled to wear my helmet all the time. I think my reason for this is based on the fact that life is full of risks and dangers anyway and you can't ever hope to eliminate them all, but it's not something I really think about very deeply.

On the other hand I wear my shin/knee pads every time I ride, because I've had a few really nasty pedal gouges that stopped me riding for a few weeks, and my pads seem to save me every few weeks.

I'm just being honest here. I hope nobody rides without their helmet and gets hurt because they read this...

Fell off a wall directly onto my head...

[attachmentid=8782]

[attachmentid=8783]

f**ked the helmet over, I went mega dizzy for a bit, swore a lot. Ok, its not as bad at that dude with the question mark on his head, but whats to say I couldn't have ended up worse if not dead?

So, yes, I always wear a helmet no matter what.

Edit: Can't see the helmet much, but go here if you're that interested....

post-8303-1166397128.jpg

post-8303-1166397142.jpg

Edited by anzo

i have to say, i don't own one.

i have never found one that fits. they all seem to get in the way and make me feel uncomfortable. saying that i've never dropped more than 6ft and ican't gap at all. i guess if i could find a good quality, well fitted and comfortable helmet then i'd get better quicker.

does it give you a confidence boost? and can you recomend a good make or web site?

LOL! I fell off a 1ft wall mate and banged my head and went hospital :sick: My finger slipped when I was pedul hopping over a small wall :(

~Matty

i put mine on soon as i step out the dorr to ride my bike ...no helmet no ride .....like someone said in the topic you can get a new helmet but not a new head ...i no some one who went under a car and if she had a helmet on she would of still been here ...but she chose not to ....so yes wear a helmet .....NO HELMET NO RIDE :angry:(Y) bennyb w.b

lol bs you dont wear one all the time i always have to remind you to put one on dude whats that all about hehe see you tomorrow buddy!!! never ride without one unless im just messing round.

Edited by Xx-OnZa-xX

LOL! I fell off a 1ft wall mate and banged my head and went hospital :sick: My finger slipped when I was pedul hopping over a small wall :(

~Matty

no way...

well, i went out the other day to get one, spent £25 and i have to say it doesn't look great or feel great. but as they say the proof is in the pudding.. i hope i never have to rely on it

i'm stupid, i don't wear one, although this is partly because my mum n dad don't have any money. But i think i'm gonna buy one, some time soon. I'm thankfully good at saving myself off falls even if unexpected, one day one of them will get me though. Oh and the helmet i have, is a pisspot bell type, that makes my head itch like crazy because i get too hot, ride shit get annoyed ride even worse and get shindigs all the time. I rode in a 'common' type helmet for about 2 weeks, until i went ymsa, i cracked it beastily there. Rocks don't like me is my conclusion!