Wireless Network

Frenchman

Right the Gf wants to set up a wireless network so she can connect her lappy to the web.

Now im not to sure how to go about it for her. she is using tiscali broadband which means she has to connect to the web when she turns the current computer on.

No im using telewest meaning my connection is always live and i can acces the web via my network whenever i want even if the main comp is off.

What i want to know is if its possible to do this with tiscali. are there routers out there which keep the connection always on as she wont be able to have the main computer on when shes using her laptop.

If so what is available, the cheapest possible please its only got to go to the next room (Y)

Hope you guys can help.

Many thanks in advance

If you have one of those little blue Tiscali modems that connects by USB, you have to get an ADSL modem + router + wireless access point. Something like a D-link G604T will do the job (Although I don't think it's a particularly good one - look at Netgear products).

Unless your Tiscali modem is one that connects via ethernet (and can therefore plug directly into a router), then you may only need to buy a router + wireless, which will be a bit cheaper.

im with tiscali, and used to use a usb modem. but since switching to wireless. bought a belkin modem/router built in, cost me like £60 from curry's. is all i need, plug the router straight into the phone line. once set up, its constantly connected, meaning all you need to do is once its set up, is turn the laptop on , and connect to the home network(LAN), which is already connected to the internet(technically WAN).