Disc Brakes

Bristol

Ive seen a few bikes now with rear disc brakes (trials bikes) whats the advantages of a rear disc? if there is any.

another thing to bend, meaning if you ride a stock you are buggerd if you screw up a side hop as you will either brake your rear mech or bend your disk

They can, if set up correctly, work and hold better than a magura. If you do get one then I suggest you get an Avid BB7. They are easy to set up, fairly maintenance free and there is no bleeding involved. The only down side is that if it is hit majorly then you mibht have to fork out for a new disc.

another thing to bend, meaning if you ride a stock you are buggerd if you screw up a side hop as you will either brake your rear mech or bend your disc
Do you know how damn hard you have land on a rotor to actually bend it? Really, REALLY f**king hard. And they're a lot easier to bend back into shape rather than true a wheel.

They don't lose power in the wet
Erm, that technically is also bullshit, as they loose a shed load of power in the wet. The myth that discs work better in the wet applies to downhill and XC, where the constant speed and drag keeps the disc warm and working well. In trials, you NEVER build up enough speed and power to get a disc working how it will in the dry, ergo, discs are actually close to being the WORST brake to have in the wet. I'd rather have a smooth rim with kool stop pads than a disc in the wet.

But meh, there are pro's and con's.

Rich

Erm, that technically is also bullshit, as they loose a shed load of power in the wet. The myth that discs work better in the wet applies to downhill and XC, where the constant speed and drag keeps the disc warm and working well. In trials, you NEVER build up enough speed and power to get a disc working how it will in the dry, ergo, discs are actually close to being the WORST brake to have in the wet. I'd rather have a smooth rim with kool stop pads than a disc in the wet.

I do agree with that, however, I've found a wet disc isn't actually a problem, PROVIDED it's not dirty. Usually if your brake is suffering in the wet, it's because of all the extra dirt/crap that gets flinged onto it from the tires

Dan

Hey Bristol kid,

Running a rear disk in my opinion depends on what sort of riding you mainly or plan to do.

For competition/offroad riding they are ideal, consistant braking no matter what the weather or terrain, also they sit alot further away from the ground meaning they dont contaminated as easy as a rim brake does.

For street use they can be prone to being caught on walls when sidehoping etc.

But overall in my opinion if you get the right disk brake and set it up correctly and look after it then they are much better than any rim brake that i've used.

Hope this helps dude.

Hey Bristol kid,

Running a rear disk in my opinion depends on what sort of riding you mainly or plan to do.

For competition/offroad riding they are ideal, consistant braking no matter what the weather or terrain, also they sit alot further away from the ground meaning they dont contaminated as easy as a rim brake does.

But overall in my opinion if you get the right disk brake and set it up correctly and look after it then they are much better than any rim brake that i've used.

Hope this helps dude.

Hey Bristol kid,

Hope this helps dude.

Hey Bristol kid,

Hope this helps dude.

Running rear disc for trials is good and not so good. Just depends on your style and having a frame to it. Rich's frame is made for disc purly. If you set the disc up right it'll work really well. Normal in the wet the disc pick up power when they get some heat into them. They become a bit more grabbyer but this does not mean that tey lock on more. How ever the best things with idsc is you can look uber smoeth once they set up right and bed in