Onza T-vee Gearing

Hi there,

Have got an ONZA t-vee and after 8 months of riding I am finding the gearing much too low. I am using a 24tooth front and 15tooth rear sprocket, i was thinking of changing the rear to 12tooth, is this possible?, how much difference will it make?

Any help will be much appreciated! (Y)

Thanks, alex

Are you sure your running a 15t freewheel on the back? I think it's probably 16.

24t front and 16t rear gives you a gear ratio of 1.5 which is what 95% of all mod riders use.

If you put a 12t on the rear, it would be way to high gearing for trials.

Also, you can't get 12t freewheels. So if you wanted to do that, you'd have to buy a new hub.

Why do you think the gearing is too low? Is it that you just want to get about quicker?

Hello, im very sure in fact that 15 tooth freewheel doesnt exist. If you wanted to have a 12 tooth sproket on the back you would have to get a new cranks as 12 tooth freewheels dont exist. so to compensate the fixed sproket you would have to get new front freewheel cranks, 18 tooth freewheel would go nice as it is the standard mod gearing. this would simply screw on to your new front freewheel cranks, you may have to shorten your chain by a link or so (Y) good luck i hope i have helped :turned:

Are you sure your running a 15t freewheel on the back? I think it's probably 16.

24t front and 16t rear gives you a gear ratio of 1.5 which is what 95% of all mod riders use.

If you put a 12t on the rear, it would be way to high gearing for trials.

Also, you can't get 12t freewheels. So if you wanted to do that, you'd have to buy a new hub.

Why do you think the gearing is too low? Is it that you just want to get about quicker?

Hi JT!,

Thanks for the reply. Yeah i made a mistake.... it is a 16t rear. Doing gaps larger then a pallet board is pretty much impossible with such low gearing beacause you just can't get a strong enough kick. 2 mates of mine are riding mods (koxx and 06python) are in a much higher gear then me. It might just be that all beginner onza's have low gearing but i know for a fact that the t-pro, t-comp and so on are in higher gears as standard. A higher gear on my t-vee would help a lot, i could fit a 14t on couldn't I? I see what you mean by a 12t not fitting, possibly due to the fact that the rear freewheel will cover the sprocket so there isn't enough room for chain, yeah? there must be something I can do? What are you currently riding on your echo team?

Thanks very much for the advice and quick reply, alex

PS NICE BIKE :D