Changing Disc Brake Pads

powerz

When you change hs33 pads from the standard/original ones to say zoo pads it makes one hell of a differance in the braking power (because of the compound),

well if i change the standard/original pads in my front magura julie to some aftermarket pads will it make a hell of a differance. (say for example to EBC Gold Brake Pads), or are the original pads quiet good & not worth changing?.

Edited by powerz

How worn are your original pads?

My pads on my disc brake had deteriorated slightly and this affected the break hugely although they looked almost new. New pads helped alot.

If your pads look good without any cuts or chips then i suggest sanding the top oily layer slightly to increase friction. If your break is clean and your pads just don't seem to grip then i suggest getting some new ones preferably all weather pads.

Not enough power and lasted no time at all. Just not worth it, the original pads work so well now there aint any point in getting aftermarket ones.

Andy

O.K thanks i wont waste my money then. (Y) cheers for the advice

How worn are your original pads?

My pads on my disc brake had deteriorated slightly and this affected the break hugely although they looked almost new. New pads helped alot.

If your pads look good without any cuts or chips then i suggest sanding the top oily layer slightly to increase friction. If your break is clean and your pads just don't seem to grip then i suggest getting some new ones preferably all weather pads.

well i have had the pads for about 4 months now they dont look worn atall really, and yea i ruff em up abit nearly every week to keep em working nice, My brake dont slip at all and holds nice but i was just asking in case my brake can be even better

Edited by powerz

Well if theres nothing wrong then i suggest you just leave them as the pads should last atleast 6months from new.

*Edit* By the way, buying a new set of original pads would be best if you were to buy new ones because others really aren't as good as they make out to be!

Edited by Jonnyb92

Well if theres nothing wrong then i suggest you just leave them as the pads should last atleast 6months from new.

Thanks for the advice, yes im going to then as the others dont seem to clever

With sandpaper? :blink:

i certainly dooooo use sandpaper

Edited by powerz

All brake pads need to be bedded in from new. The way they are made leaves a glazed finish on the surface which needs to be taken off. Normally this is done though riding it for a bit. You can bed it in faster by riding with the brakes on, rubbing dirt on your discs or as I do use a bit abrasive paper. Best to use wet and dry paper.

As for types of pads i only use the organic pads that are made by the brakes manufacture. All the after market brands tend to have a poor fit to enable them to fit in more than one brand of disk brake and the compound used fades more quickly.