Tips For Spinning - Just Started

Strobe

Hey everyone!

[introduction warning! Skip if you want!]

I've been riding bikes seriously for a few years now, I've been through most disciplines like BMX, XC, street, dirt but I've always enjoyed the more technical side of street and dreamed of getting a trials bike. So Christmas came and my birthday went and I hadn't asked for anything, so I decided to blow them both on a trials bike! I chose an Onza T-Comp on many recommendations from here and the HS33s. I've only had a 26" bike which I find difficult to move around, being a modest 5'9" and not much muscle to boot, so I opted for a mod.

[/introduction]

Now, as my bike arrives today (i hope) I thought I'd try and get a few tips to get me going.

I've been practising on my current bike and there's two basic things which shock me due to my inability with them! 180s and rear wheel pivots ...

When i try and real wheel pivot I either go basically nowhere or go 90 and lose balance. I try the whole preloading and look the direction I'm going too.

Spinning I have quite a dilemma with - I ride left-foot-forward but my arms can pretty much only spin me anti-clockwise, so I can either spin anti-clockwise for my arms, or clockwise for my legs. Does anyone else have this problem? Should I try riding right-foot-forward or practise spinning the other way with my arms? Any tips?

Now that was quite an essay, so I'm offering eye massages to anyone who replies :D

Thanks!

Edited by Strobe

Hey everyone!

[introduction warning! Skip if you want!]

I've been riding bikes seriously for a few years now, I've been through most disciplines like BMX, XC, street, dirt but I've always enjoyed the more technical side of street and dreamed of getting a trials bike. So Christmas came and my birthday went and I hadn't asked for anything, so I decided to blow them both on a trials bike! I chose an Onza T-Comp on many recommendations from here and the HS33s. I've only had a 26" bike which I find difficult to move around, being a modest 5'9" and not much muscle to boot, so I opted for a mod.

[/introduction]

Now, as my bike arrives today (i hope) I thought I'd try and get a few tips to get me going.

I've been practising on my current bike and there's two basic things which shock me due to my inability with them! 180s and rear wheel pivots ...

When i try and real wheel pivot I either go basically nowhere or go 90 and lose balance. I try the whole preloading and look the direction I'm going too.

Spinning I have quite a dilemma with - I ride left-foot-forward but my arms can pretty much only spin me anti-clockwise, so I can either spin anti-clockwise for my arms, or clockwise for my legs. Does anyone else have this problem? Should I try riding right-foot-forward or practise spinning the other way with my arms? Any tips?

Now that was quite an essay, so I'm offering eye massages to anyone who replies :D

Thanks!

o the art of spinning, its great fun and looks easy, but can be hard to learn depending what area of mountian biking you have come from, well i came from Dirt Jumping, and i learnt when ever you are spinng to should always turn your head in the direction you are going so as your body and you bike follow you!!

hope that helps

Johny

hi mate im left footed and i had the same probmle but it will just come to you if you can 180 both ways a bit, thats good because i was like that, now i can 180 clockwise and pivot on the back wheel out, and i can 180 aiticlockwise and roll 180 out of it. hope i helped paul bell

hi mate im left footed and i had the same probmle but it will just come to you if you can 180 both ways a bit, thats good because i was like that, now i can 180 clockwise and pivot on the back wheel out, and i can 180 aiticlockwise and roll 180 out of it. hope i helped paul bell

Cheers guys!

So did you 180 clockwise first?

Thinking about it, that makes a lot of sense, because I front wheel pivot clockwise too, i can get 180 with that. Maybe I could start out front wheel pivoting 180 and slowly try and build a little hop in there to get used to it ...

It's almost 5:30 and it hasn't arrived yet, so I've got at least another day to find out!! :(

Anyone have balance tips for rear wheel pivots?