Graphics Card Problem Help!

nb88

Alright guys,

Turned on my pc today and all the pc lights come on, it makes a noise, the CD drive works etc etc, but the monitor just says 'no signal'. I'm guessing its that the graphics card is bust, it worked fine last night though. My gfx card is a ATI radeon sapphire 9800 pro atlantis and played all the games basically, so im after a similar or better one. Could spend up to £100 if needed, i wouldnt mind an absolute beast of one :D.

Does anyone have one for sale, or know any gd deals going anywhere at the moment? And do you think its the graphics card thats gone? I'll try my mates monitor later but im pretty sure itll be the card.

Nozzy

The x1300's are crap, dont get one. If you are spending £100 or so on a graphics card then get a 7600gt... thats the same as mine, its a beast... you'll love it. Get the leadtek one though because they overclock like crazy so give you a much better card for your money. You not got onboard graphics that you can boot into widows with, to make sure it definately is your card.

Move the screen cable to the onboard socket and take out the graphics card. Hit the del button or f2 or whatever on startup to enter the bios and enable onboard graphics. If it boots up into windows its your graphics card, if not its your motherboard.

It doesnt have any onboard graphics at all? Pretty much every motherboard has it.

Thats not true Chris, None of my 3 motherboards, or any that ive had for that matter have ever had onboard gfx.

Noz,

Have you tried the other port on the card to check its not something to do with the port?

Also, have you been overclocking the card at all?

Finally, check the power connector to the card, if thats not quite home or not connecting properly then the card won't work.

I'd say don't jump to conclusions that its the gfx card. Try one from a mates/parents pc if theres one around. I've done this before and ended up with a new hard drive when it was the RAM at fault.

Thats not true Chris, None of my 3 motherboards, or any that ive had for that matter have ever had onboard gfx.

Noz,

Have you tried the other port on the card to check its not something to do with the port?

Also, have you been overclocking the card at all?

Finally, check the power connector to the card, if thats not quite home or not connecting properly then the card won't work.

I'd say don't jump to conclusions that its the gfx card. Try one from a mates/parents pc if theres one around. I've done this before and ended up with a new hard drive when it was the RAM at fault.

I don't mean onboard graphics per'say... just a vga line out so you can run the computer on like 800x600 with 12 colours. I don't mean an onboard graphics solution thats capable of playing games and stuff. My mobo has one, my mates has one, my cousins has one... i thought they were standard.

It doesnt have any other VGA lines. I took the graphics card out and now when turned on the computer beeps (one long beep then one short beep, meaning gfx card broken/missing), doesnt make the noise with the graphics card in though. I cant think of what elseit would be to have no signal into the monitor at all?

It doesnt have any other VGA lines. I took the graphics card out and now when turned on the computer beeps (one long beep then one short beep, meaning gfx card broken/missing), doesnt make the noise with the graphics card in though. I cant think of what elseit would be to have no signal into the monitor at all?
Did the card not come with a DVI to analogue adaptor?

You around tomorrow afternoon/evening mate... from around 4.00 ish? I just noticed i have my old 6600 sat on top of the wardrobe, we could whack that in for you to try. If it works then its your graphics card, if not then we'll have to think of something else. I can bring it to uni with me in the morning and we can sort it out after i've done some painting if you want.

Is it an AGP or PCI-E slot? If its AGP then thats cool as my cards agp too.

Edited by Krisboats

Cheers for the offer kris! But i asked my mate if i could borrow his earlier (in my flat) and he said i can so i should be able to borrow that when im back from the library (in there now). ill ring u if i need it though!

p.s. up for a ride next week? last exam tomorrow 9am :)

also.....do gfx cards usually come with vga-> dvi adapters? i ordered a radeon x1950 with dual dvi. wondering if i should buy a vga dvi adapter aswell? I shouldve really done that first as theres a chance the dvi slot might work on my gfx card...

you do have a pci-e motherboard dont you? other wise that isint going to work, and i know for a fact that the radeon 9800 pro only come in agp as its about 3-4 years old now.

what spec is your pc? cpu,mobo,ram, etc

that there is a bloody good point

and they usually do come with at least one DVI adaptor

you do have a pci-e motherboard dont you? other wise that isint going to work, and i know for a fact that the radeon 9800 pro only come in agp as its about 3-4 years old now.

what spec is your pc? cpu,mobo,ram, etc

What isn't going to work? The x1950 card? Looks like it will do to me :P

The AGP High end cards with dual DVI outputs normally come with a single dvi-vga adapter.... i guess they figured if we're too behind the times to move to pci-e then i guess we most likely will still have vga screens :D

Edited by Krisboats

oh my bad, didnt know that ati did agp version of the x1950.....never gone with ati so never really took much interest in their product.

on last thing though, most people over look the power supply and ati are known for making power hungry gfx cards . you might need a new psu depending on what the the gfx card draws or what psu you have.